Current Assembly Status

Discussion about the development of the Assembly workbench.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
jp_math

Re: Current Assembly Status

Post by jp_math »

I had the same issue. You need to install the last 0.19 version to get the workbenches working.
v0.18, although stable version, does not provide them, and the add-on manager is somehow broken.
M4x
Veteran

Post by M4x »

Github changed some internal stuff. A fix for 0.18 is coming soon. Have a look at the forum if you're interested. Apart from that, I highly recommend to use the current 0.19 development version anyway.
Vagulus

Post by Vagulus »

jp_math wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 9:31 am You need to install the last 0.19 version to get the workbenches working.
v0.18, although stable version, does not provide them, and the add-on manager is somehow broken.
If you check my first post you'll see that I have 0.19.
"It is much harder to simplify than to complicate."
Joseph Kimble
RDA

Post by RDA »

Vagulus wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 11:02 am
jp_math wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 9:31 am You need to install the last 0.19 version to get the workbenches working.
If you check my first post you'll see that I have 0.19.
jp_math said last 0.19 version. I had this same issue with an earlier version of 0.19, update to latest and your addon manager should get fixed.
TheOlderOne

Post by TheOlderOne »

Hello,
it's not possible to look that video below is private, why?

Tutorials:
https://youtu.be/UYHIX1IEfTE

Regard
TheOlderOne
CapGuy

In fine : which one to study and use ?

Post by CapGuy »

Hello all,

I searched what is the current Assembly status without any success because it seems Assembly3 and Assembly4 are both developed in the same time, so please I apologize for my question :
Which one should I study to be right and up to date with the last development, with the most chance to be used in the future ?

I know this question could be misinterpreted and is impossible to answer really, so please be sure I thank both RealThunder and Zolko - and of course all the team for this piece of Art software - but as a simple user I'm lost and I would avoid to lost my time in a wrong direction...

As I understood, asm3 use a very special RealThunder's FreeCAD forked version (Link Branch, out of the official one) while asm4 can run in the official 0.19_pre,
so does this mean I should use Assembly4 to have the more chances to run later in the official FreeCAD version ?

For sure, any way to take and information will be precious for newcomers like me.

Thank you very much for your time,
Best Regards,
Guy
May The Force be infinite and beyond !
davidosterberg

Re: In fine : which one to study and use ?

Post by davidosterberg »

CapGuy wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 10:03 am Which one should I study to be right and up to date with the last development, with the most chance to be used in the future ?
The answers to this questions will be opinion based. In my opinion you should learn Assembly4 because it uses only things that are already in FreeCAD. You don't even need to have Assembly4 installed in order to open up an Asm3 model.

My dream is that Asm4 and A2plus will merge into one in the future (there was a thread about this idea involving both WB authors, and it looked promising). This way the workbench would support both major workflows for assembly. I.e mating geometric entities to each other (A2plus) and the more direct control of coordinate systems that Asm4 offers. The A2plus way is most user friendly, and sufficient for small assemblies. The Asm4 way is more scalable for large assemblies.

Just my 2c.
CapGuy

Re: In fine : which one to study and use ?

Post by CapGuy »

davidosterberg wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 10:12 am Just my 2c.
Thank you very much David, your 2cts are invaluable !

Cordially,
Guy
M4x
Veteran

Post by M4x »

I've chosen Asm3 because it works the way an assembly should work from my point of view. I would say it's very userfriendly too. Once the topo naming problem is solved, it's going to be even better. But, like you've said yourself, you're asking a question which can't be answered at the moment.
CapGuy

Post by CapGuy »

M4x wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 11:50 am ...
I've chosen Asm3 because it works the way an assembly should work from my point of view. I would say it's very userfriendly too.
Thanks for your answer M4x

Could you point me on 2 links you think quick and good for my understanding of both asm3 and asm4 please ?
Or even maybe 2 tutorials and/or presentation of the difference between the two ?

Cordially,
Guy