Current Assembly Status

Discussion about the development of the Assembly workbench.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
drive_at_11

Re: Current Assembly Status

Post by drive_at_11 »

First of all to all contributors, specially Zolko and RealThunder... you've really brought this into user friendly area. Was using Fusion360 just before it became $$$, then learned Assembly4, and have managed with that, plotting LCS/s for all connection points and linking those together. Then adopted RealThunder's Link Branch and continued to use Assembly4... I tried Assembly3 but I guess the approach is different and didn't want to backtrack. Anyway for those wondering Assembly4 work wells on LinkBranch.
What doesn't seem to work so well is the fasteners bench, where you click on a hole and then a fastener, it requires some re-adjustments to the fastener size. I like my fasteners in a group folder anyway so I can turn them all off, when working on parts. So I insert them within Assembly4 tying them to a local LCS.
So thank you thank you, you'll all amazing at this.
roipoussiere

Post by roipoussiere »

Hello,
[Asm3] is now available for testing as part of the Linux AppImage and DMG in the current development version pre_0.19 from:
https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/releases/

That means the Asm3 functions can be tested without the special build from realthunder.
Is there a plan to include Asm3 in the add-on manager?
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

roipoussiere wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 2:07 am Is there a plan to include Asm3 in the add-on manager?
It is included in the 0.20 development version.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
roipoussiere

Post by roipoussiere »

Nice!

Any release date for version 0.20?

In the issue tracker I read dec. 31th but there are still many issues pinned with this version, so I suppose it will be delayed?
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

roipoussiere wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 12:16 pm Nice!

Any release date for version 0.20?

In the issue tracker I read dec. 31th but there are still many issues pinned with this version, so I suppose it will be delayed?
No date, It's done when it's done and that dec 31 date is basically just placeholder text, it won't be releasing this year. The number of issues assigned to the version is not a good indication either, when it's decided to release a new version those issues that remain open are just postponed to the next version.
Also I think asm3 will likely not be included in the official release either, AFAIK there's a license conflict.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

roipoussiere wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 12:16 pm In the issue tracker I read dec. 31th but there are still many issues pinned with this version, so I suppose it will be delayed?
No release date yet, I don't know how the date came in. Werner once said, that he wanted to include the toponaming improvements, which very sure would mean a delay.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Koemi

Post by Koemi »

Hi fosselius. Very interesting information (until 9 months ago). Is it possible for you to update the first post to make it 'Current' again?

I am asking this because I'm planning - finally :? - to make quite an update (V0.16 to V0.19. So I have to decide which Assembly SW will be the successor of my 'historical' Assembly2).
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Koemi wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 3:08 pm So I have to decide which Assembly SW will be the successor of my 'historical' Assembly2).
The successor of Assembly workbench is still A2Plus.
freman
Veteran

Post by freman »

Then adopted RealThunder's Link Branch and continued to use Assembly4...
I came to this thread to check out the "Current Assembly Status" but find it's not so current.

Is current master close to RealThunder's Link Branch or do I really need to do a separate using that? I get sick of version hopping and finding all my previous work needs taking apart and redoing.

A status update since last dec would be good to see.
;)
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

since the OP is oretty outdated now, can a mod please unpin this?