Assembly3 preview

Discussion about the development of the Assembly workbench.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
realthunder
Veteran

Assembly3 preview

Post by realthunder »

Hello everyone, here is a preview of my brand new Assembly3 workbench. It is a preview because I still haven't got time to test it with any non-toy assembly yet. Consider its complexity, expect to have a bumpy ride if you feel like to have an early adventure. Check out the readme in the repo for detail instructions.
Try Assembly3 with my custom build of FreeCAD at here.
And if you'd like to show your support, you can donate through patreon, liberapay, or paypal
DeepSOIC
Veteran

Re: Assembly3 preview

Post by DeepSOIC »

The gyroscopic mover and shaker of death is back!!

Jokes aside, WOW :shock: :o
How do I make it work on Win, I wonder...
freecad-heini-1
Veteran

Post by freecad-heini-1 »

realthunder wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:55 am Hello everyone, here is a preview of my brand new Assembly3 workbench. It is a preview because I still haven't got time to test it with any non-toy assembly yet. Consider its complexity, expect to have a bumpy ride if you feel like to have an early adventure. Check out the readme in the repo for detail instructions.
Thank you so much for your work. Is it useable with Freecad 0.17?
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

Incredible. Question, could one make an appimage to expedite the effort to test instead of getting it all built?

Edit: pinged @probonopd on gitter https://gitter.im/probonopd/AppImageKit ... 4b5bbc228c to ask for some assistance.
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

@realthunder

Can you confirm if you copy/paste this in FreeCAD Python console it works on your side?

Code: Select all

from asm3.assembly import AsmDocumentObserver
P.S. If yes are you sure you don't have any additional environment related "tweaks" enabled on your side? Is there a chance you could do a test on stock Ubuntu 16.04? That is compile your FreeCAD branch (i don't have it installed as after compiling ./bin/FreeCAD is how i run it). And test Assembly 3 module against it? Could be something is borked on my side as i still am experiencing some import issues on my side. As a side effect i do get Assembly 3 toolbar but there is no Constraints toolbar and things like that. On the plus side both SolveSpace and SymPy + SciPy solver backends are imported successfully!
looo
Veteran

Post by looo »

I don't think this should work, but it may have worked for some older builds of FreeCAD. ~/.FreeCAD/Mod is definetly not in sys.path for the current FreeCAD master! So please use old style:

from assembly import AsmDocumentObserver
or port to the new workbench structure:
https://github.com/looooo/Workbench-Starterkit
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

As i use the same FreeCAD branch as @realthunder (and likely the same OS - Ubuntu 16.04) we should experience the same issue. I have a hunch @realthunder might have tweaked something to make it work on his side. And as that is not available by default for general testing indeed likely imports will need to change as pointed out by @looo and as mentioned in the previous thread.

https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 20#p200351
saso
Veteran

Post by saso »

triplus wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:50 pm As i use the same FreeCAD branch as @realthunder
You have compiled his https://github.com/realthunder/FreeCAD/tree/LinkStage3 ? It only works with it
looo
Veteran

Post by looo »

https://github.com/realthunder/FreeCAD/ ... it.py#L124
That was part of a previous attempt to solve name-clashes.
realthunder
Veteran

Post by realthunder »

triplus wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:46 am @realthunder

Can you confirm if you copy/paste this in FreeCAD Python console it works on your side?

P.S. If yes are you sure you don't have any additional environment related "tweaks" enabled on your side? Is there a chance you could do a test on stock Ubuntu 16.04? That is compile your FreeCAD branch (i don't have it installed as after compiling ./bin/FreeCAD is how i run it). And test Assembly 3 module against it? Could be something is borked on my side as i still am experiencing some import issues on my side. As a side effect i do get Assembly 3 toolbar but there is no Constraints toolbar and things like that. On the plus side both SolveSpace and SymPy + SciPy solver backends are imported successfully!
You are doing exactly the same as I am doing, i.e. running directly from a build directory, with maybe one exception. I put the asm3 module directly in Mod directory of the build directly (well, actually through a symlink), instead of ~/.FreeCAD/Mod. I vaguely remember having some issue putting the module there early development.

Yup, just tried it. It doesn't work in ~/.FreeCAD/Mod. Try Mod in the build directory, it shall work fine there. I'll migrate to the new style for sure, but may take a while, because things at work.
Try Assembly3 with my custom build of FreeCAD at here.
And if you'd like to show your support, you can donate through patreon, liberapay, or paypal