Import Part not working in Assembly2

Discussion about the development of the Assembly workbench.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Roland

Import Part not working in Assembly2

Post by Roland »

H Forum!,

The subject was discussed on www.freecadweb.org/tracker/view.php?id=3445

The solution proposed was to change "QtGui.qApp.activeWindow()" to "QtGui.QApplication.activeWindow()"

Since the package has not been improved: Where should I make this adaptation in my install?

Greetz!

Roland

My system:
Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.17.13541 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: releases/FreeCAD-0-17
Hash: 9948ee4f1570df9216862a79705afb367b2c6ffb
Python version: 2.7.15rc1
Qt version: 5.9.5
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.3.0
Locale: English/UnitedKingdom (en_GB)
Roland

Re: Import Part not working in Assembly2

Post by Roland »

Found my own answer:

Use txt editor to change "QtGui.qApp.activeWindow()" to "QtGui.QApplication.activeWindow()" in file importPart.py
File is located in: /home/user/FreeCAD/Mod/assembly2

Perhaps useful for others.

best regards,

Roland
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

Hi Roland,

Assembly2 is no longer being developed (as detailed on the project's GitHub page), it would be best to switch to the A2plus fork.

Assembly2_Workbench

Roland wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 3:14 pm My system:
Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.17.13541 (Git)
The v0.18 release is currently building on the freecad-stable PPA, if you set your update manager to check for updates daily, you'll get it tomorrow. If the upgrade fails, try this in the terminal:

Code: Select all

sudo apt full-upgrade
https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 89#p297388
Roland

Post by Roland »

Hello NormandC

Thanks for advice. Shall try A2plus.
However, see my message about FreeCAD broke on upgrade (posted in "Install/Compile", and by mistake also in "Help on using"). So, v18 did not properly install here. I hope that will be solved soon.

On topic: Assembly2 needs to remain available and operational in the future, lest I and others would loss a lot of previous work. Therefore, it is quite important that repairs for bugs, if they appear, are shared among the users. Hence, the answer to myself so that other can read it.

Best wishes,

Roland
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Roland wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 8:31 am On topic: Assembly2 needs to remain available and operational in the future, lest I and others would loss a lot of previous work.
I see only two possibilities to fulfill your request, because noone will ride a dead horse, which has been abandoned by its owner:
Either you take the maintanance over, which would not be the worst of all choices, or you save an old FreeCAD version which can open old FreeCAD files with an old Assembly workbench.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Roland

Post by Roland »

The third option: to post the solutions in this forum. Even answers to oneself (like I did). For others accessible.

My experience is too small to be able to carry out the maintenance. I would mess it up.

Thanks anyway for the exchange of ideas and solutions.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Well, that's almost the first option and you should make a pull request.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

Hi Roland.

Assembly 2 module likely won't be ported to Py3/Qt5. For existing projects i would recommend using the AppImage for one of the previous releases of FreeCAD (up to and including FreeCAD 0.17).

https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/releases

P.S. Best to use a FreeCAD release the project was made in. For new projects, as already advised, using A2plus module is the current recommendation.