[Feature Request]: Changing default fillet behavior

About the development of the Part Design module/workbench. PLEASE DO NOT POST HELP REQUESTS HERE!
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Shalmeneser
Veteran

Re: [Feature Request]: Changing default fillet behavior

Post by Shalmeneser »

When there is a problem with a fillet, you can try to use a smaller radius than the one you entered, then again, then again.
A button for an automatic smaller radius could be helpfull in this case.
It could give an idea to solve the problem for the new user.
user1234
Veteran

Post by user1234 »

A button to half the value, for a fillet that just should work, seems not very technical for a CAD, which is not sculpture modeler. A fillet has a discrete value for a technical function and specific reason and should not be somehow random determined through a rolling dice.

Giving a option in the preferences for an different default value --> yes please! But please clutter not the gui when you just can input a value in not time when it differ from the default value. Also when a fillet does not work, it have very often a complete other reasons.

Greetings
user1234
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

user1234 wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 8:48 pm A button to half the value, for a fillet that just should work, seems not very technical for a CAD,
Such a button is not a modeling aid, it is a fault finding help. If we have fillets that just should work, it would of course be best, if they, well, just work. However, we know that they don't do it always. To find the culprit it is often recommended to check if a very small fillet works and then find the value where it breaks. Looking at that point at a model often helps to identify the culprit.

This process could be slightly made more comfortable with a button as described above.

Howver, I am against such a button, if it is visible all the time. Because then it looks indeed as if it was useful for modeling.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
GeneFC
Veteran

Post by GeneFC »

It is probably not necessary for a button or any other aid. Just manually change the fillet size to some really small value, say 0.01 mm, and give it a try. If it does not work, then the fillet size is not the problem. If the very small fillet does work then it may be useful to find the limit.

This is a one-time troubleshooting aid, not something that one would expect to be repetitive. Therefore the number of keystrokes and other efficiency measures would seem to be of little importance.

I use this technique a lot when examining files posted on the Help forum. I would guess that in only a small percentage of the cases does this discovery do much good. Typically the troublesome fillet is just plain impossible at any size.

Gene
obelisk79
Veteran

Post by obelisk79 »

Even if such a button exists which I am against adding, I agree with chrisb, it's a kludge fix to a problem and I don't think it would really help much with resolving issues people come across. It would really be nice if OCCT would overhaul their fillet code to better handle these features particularly when it comes to adjacent edges; but I also expect that involves some fairly complex equations that are certainly far beyond my own understanding and likely not an easy fix.
matthyuz

Post by matthyuz »

I think it would be useful for the fillet tool to indicate in advance how much is the maximum radius that it can apply, perhaps placing it in the text box (in gray), for example: "< 12mm" if it is not possible to apply a 12 mm fillet or more.
Another option is to not put anything in the text box, but when entering a radius greater than the maximum, a pop-up window indicates the maximum applicable radius.
Several times I found myself in the situation of wanting to apply a fillet as large as possible and I could only achieve it by going up and down, by trial and error.
mfro

Post by mfro »

matthyuz wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 10:11 am I think it would be useful for the fillet tool to indicate in advance how much is the maximum radius that it can apply, perhaps placing it in the text box (in gray), for example: "< 12mm" if it is not possible to apply a 12 mm fillet or more.
As there is no such function (determining the maximum fillet radius) in OCC, it could only do the same (increase the radius until the fillet fails). Maybe interesting for simple fillets, but probably really annoying for larger fillet actions that might take minutes to complete (or fail).

Also, changing the default fillet radius to something else doesn't seem right for me as there are different "reasonable" radii for different types of modelling (10th of mm for watchmakers, 1 mm for mechanical engineers, maybe even m for architects). So, whatever you define as "standard" will be definitely wrong for somebody.
The only "default" that might make some sense IMO is to remember the last value entered.
Cheers,
Markus
GeneFC
Veteran

Post by GeneFC »

Some of you are newer around the forum and may not have heard the history about OCC and fillet.

OCC fully acknowledges that the fillet is weak and buggy. However, the current OCC folks say the fillet code is ancient, poorly documented, and essentially not understood by their programmers without a lot of study.

It could be rebuilt, of course, but that takes a lot of effort, and none of their paying customers need fillets.

Gene
Piero69

Post by Piero69 »

@paddle
@GeneFC

maybe the solution is what i see in the typical behavoiur of commercial cad... making the feature "waiting" for the user's value instead to works immediatly with a default radius

is it possible?
GeneFC
Veteran

Post by GeneFC »

Piero69 wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 5:26 am making the feature "waiting" for the user's value instead to works immediately with a default radius

is it possible?
Of course. There are many possibilities. But what would that solve?

You can already change the number to anything you like before completing the operation. "Requiring" the user to input a value is a step backward.

Gene