FC v0.20.0 - BODY : a "bad" Pocket crashes Graphviz tool [solved] -> update Graphviz

About the development of the Part Design module/workbench. PLEASE DO NOT POST HELP REQUESTS HERE!
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
DeeJayOne

FC v0.20.0 - BODY : a "bad" Pocket crashes Graphviz tool [solved] -> update Graphviz

Post by DeeJayOne »

Hi everyone :)

While designing, it seems I met an issue with a "bad" pocket that crashes the Dependency Graph (Graphviz) tool.

PS : I have also opened the FC project file with FC v0.19.3 and v0.21-30xxx with always the same issue

Capture d’écran (4298) KO.png
Capture d’écran (4298) KO.png (229.08 KiB) Viewed 1565 times
Capture d’écran (4299) KO.png
Capture d’écran (4299) KO.png (202.62 KiB) Viewed 1565 times

By removing the "bad" pocket, the Dependency Graph works fine
Capture d’écran (4300) OK.png
Capture d’écran (4300) OK.png (262.86 KiB) Viewed 1565 times

Code: Select all

Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.20.29177 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: releases/FreeCAD-0-20
Hash: 68e337670e227889217652ddac593c93b5e8dc94
Python 3.8.10, Qt 5.15.2, Coin 4.0.1, Vtk 8.2.0, OCC 7.6.2
Locale: French/France (fr_FR)
Capture d’écran (4257) - Recadré (2).png
Capture d’écran (4257) - Recadré (2).png (6.15 KiB) Viewed 1537 times
Last edited by DeeJayOne on Sat Aug 13, 2022 7:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
L'important est de ne pas arrêter de poser des questions. La curiosité a sa propre raison d'exister
The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing.
Albert Einstein
chrisb
Veteran

Re: FC v0.20.0 - BODY : a "bad" Pocket crashes Graphviz tool

Post by chrisb »

No problem here. Which version has your graphviz dot program? Mine is 3.0.0.

Code: Select all

Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.21.29997 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: master
Hash: b52967d52ac46eff7c59e74d991f3f5b298944ef
Python 3.10.5, Qt 5.15.4, Coin 4.0.0, Vtk 9.1.0, OCC 7.6.2
Locale: C/Default (C)
Installed mods: 
  * FC_SU
  * FeedsAndSpeeds 0.4.0
  * fcgear 1.0.0
  * fasteners 0.3.51
  * sheetmetal 0.2.56
  * ExplodedAssembly
  * Curves 0.5.4
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Shalmeneser
Veteran

Post by Shalmeneser »

* How can you work with such sketches ? :twisted:

* 90° : the angle will change ? No -> vertical / horizontal constrains
* Do you need a spreadsheet ?
* Do you need so long names ? "Body_" ?
* Do you need to repeat the names in the sketches ? The sketch is not enough self-explanatory ?
* You should use Sketcher_External (and master sketch ?).
* Do you need to repeat all your construction in each sketch ?
Attachments
Capture d’écran 2022-08-13 033534.jpg
Capture d’écran 2022-08-13 033534.jpg (101.69 KiB) Viewed 1486 times
DeeJayOne

Post by DeeJayOne »

chrisb wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 12:23 am No problem here. Which version has your graphviz dot program? Mine is 3.0.0.
graphviz v2.38
L'important est de ne pas arrêter de poser des questions. La curiosité a sa propre raison d'exister
The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing.
Albert Einstein
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

DeeJayOne wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 6:25 am graphviz v2.38
Then an update might help. Here I had problems with some intermediate versions, so I keep my running version until an update is really needed.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
DeeJayOne

Post by DeeJayOne »

Shalmeneser wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 1:42 am * How can you work with such sketches ? :twisted:

* Do you need to repeat the names in the sketches ? The sketch is not enough self-explanatory ?
-> vertical / horizontal constrains doesn't have directions and sometimes, when changing values the sketch can "break" by reverse begin point and end point of the segment. So , I use to use some 90° constraints to avoid these potentials issues.

-> in case you want to adjust dimensions values and also when same dimensions are used several times in differents sketches, it is confortable to group dimensions in spreadsheet.

-> I don't think my bodies' name are so long. in case where you have lot of "operations" in one body, it is comfortable to have some explicit names

-> I used to use names in sketches (as I can, the same name used in the spreadsheet). In case we have lot of dimensions defined in a spreadsheet, it is easier when I meet an issue in a sketch to check each dimension. Sometimes, it is not always easy to have an explicit name for a dimension it may possible to have a mistake and confusion between 2 dimensions.
What do you mean exactly by "repeat the names" ?

-> Yes, you're right :) By having often "Topology naming" issues, I try to avoid any external references (segment, face). When this issue will be solved, I will newly use this very useful feature.

-> for the same reasons, as the previous point, I try to avoid any external references (segment, face). So I duplicate "base" sketches to keep references with the main geometric marker (currently, there is no clone feature for sketches)
PS : with a clone feature for sketches, this approach wouldn't be so bad :lol:
Albert Einstein
DeeJayOne

Post by DeeJayOne »

chrisb wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 7:07 am
DeeJayOne wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 6:25 am graphviz v2.38
Then an update might help. Here I had problems with some intermediate versions, so I keep my running version until an update is really needed.
Issue solved by updating graphviz to v2.49.3 :D

PS : Also checked with another project with same issue.
Albert Einstein
Shalmeneser
Veteran

Post by Shalmeneser »

DeeJayOne wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 7:17 am * 90° : the angle will change ? No -> vertical / horizontal constrains
-> vertical / horizontal constrains doesn't have directions and sometimes, when changing values the sketch can "break" by reverse begin point and end point of the segment. So , I use to use some 90° constraints to avoid these potentials issues.
The sketch can flip only if you modify drastically the dimensions.
You modify the dimension and if a flip problem occurs, Ctrl+Z.
-> in case you want to adjust dimensions values and also when same dimensions are used several times in differents sketches, it is confortable to group dimensions in spreadsheet.
You don't have to reuse any dimension via spreadsheet if you use External geometry from simple sketches.
-> I don't think my bodies' name are so long. in case where you have lot of "operations" in one body, it is comfortable to have some explicit names
"body_overall_height" -> B1_H (W / Thick)
"body_thickness_middle" -> B1_Thick_mid (top / bot)
-> I used to use names in sketches (as I can, the same name used in the spreadsheet). In case we have lot of dimensions defined in a spreadsheet, it is easier when I meet an issue in a sketch to check each dimension. Sometimes, it is not always easy to have an explicit name for a dimension it may possible to have a mistake and confusion between 2 dimensions.
-> What do you mean exactly by "repeat the names" ?
Why are you (re)giving alias in sketches ? They offuscate the sketcher view.
You need them because your sketch is over-complex ?
-> Yes, you're right :) By having often "Topology naming" issues, I try to avoid any external references (segment, face). When this issue will be solved, I will newly use this very useful feature.
Using External geometry only on sketch lines, only on simple sketches, only on the more upstream line, TNP seldom occurs.
It' more dangerous to use 42 lines + 115 constrains in one cryptic sketch(010) than using smartly External geometry.
Attachments
Projet_test_SHALM.FCStd
(111.43 KiB) Downloaded 40 times
Capture d’écran 2022-08-13 134728.jpg
Capture d’écran 2022-08-13 134728.jpg (49.48 KiB) Viewed 1314 times
DeeJayOne

Re: FC v0.20.0 - BODY : a "bad" Pocket crashes Graphviz tool [solved] -> update Graphviz

Post by DeeJayOne »

@Shalmeneser

Thanks for the feedback :)
Albert Einstein