[Request new function] Slot "Counterbore"?

About the development of the Part Design module/workbench. PLEASE DO NOT POST HELP REQUESTS HERE!
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
user1234
Veteran

Re: [Request new function] Slot "Counterbore"?

Post by user1234 »

Shalmeneser wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 1:41 pm I imagine the sketch plane of the form can use the same plane as the one used for the Hole (same position, same orientation).
I mean how define the rotation of an hexagon while creating the hole feature. At the moment a sketch define a hole, but this does not mean that will be only the case in the future since generally (not in FreeCAD atm) a hole can be defined in other ways like datum point and a unregular plane surface, or a datum line and a unregular plane surface (or much many more).
1.png
1.png (5.22 KiB) Viewed 1313 times

Greetings
user1234
jnxd

Post by jnxd »

user1234 wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 1:11 pm
Shalmeneser wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 7:56 am Hexagonal counterbore should be more useful.
Also never saw that in real life (and how to produce without exemptions, which needs rework).
Mostly when I've seen it this it was to hold the nut in flush with the surface.
user1234 wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 1:30 pm Yes i konw, but i do not mean this. I mean the hexagon direction, see

1.png
I'm not sure how it can be done, but 1) it may not matter, 2) a point and a direction in the plane needs less information than a sketch, not to mention we also avoid having to make multiple sketches (one for hexagonal pocket and one for the hole).

Related: someone in the solidworks subreddit also asked for something like this.
My latest (or last) project: B-spline Construction Project.
user1234
Veteran

Post by user1234 »

jnxd wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 2:23 pm I'm not sure how it can be done, but 1) it may not matter
According the reddit entry, it is for printing so the direction does matter (if near a wall). I do not see the benefit to make a hole feature out of this, since a hexagon (or any other shape) with the rotating direction can be defined in a sketch instant.

Greetings
user1234
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

user1234 wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 1:11 pm
I think these "slot counterbores" are sometimes used on plastic parts were it is not expected to have much strength, it's still a bad design but i think I've seen it around. IMO it is not something common enough to warrant being on the hole tool.
obelisk79
Veteran

Post by obelisk79 »

I worry that something like this would add unnecessary clutter in tool options for limited usefulness. We already see a lot of complaints about the complexity of the interface/ux and I tend to agree that in some instances there are 'too many' niche settings and tools exposed by default.
user1234
Veteran

Post by user1234 »

Just for completeness, i am not comletly against it, but share the opinion from obelisk79. When it is well placed (not in the hole functions, it clutters only, but like the drop down icons from the primitives maybe?), then why not. But i see no real life usecase, but maybe am too much in my own area.

Greetings
user1234
xsuper9988

Re: [Request new function] Ellipse "Counterbore"?

Post by xsuper9988 »

jnxd wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 12:07 pm Could you make a feature request on Github (make sure it doesn't already exist first)? When making the request, please add a link to this thread otherwise the issue will be closed.
OK
Thank you very much for your reply and help

This "request new function" seems to cause a lot of trouble for everyone?
Because this "request new function" seems to cause a lot of trouble for everyone?

I'll take a look at everyone's comments and suggestions first
Finally, look at the results of everyone's discussion
Then decide whether to cancel this request new function
Last edited by xsuper9988 on Thu Jul 14, 2022 11:26 pm, edited 3 times in total.
xsuper9988

Post by xsuper9988 »

user1234 wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 1:11 pm I do not know if this is really a good request, since it is technical absolute false. You can not properly tighten a screw in this way. Way too small contact surface in conjunction with a radial friction is no proper work. When you have to adjust something (long sloth or much bigger hole), then you should use big washers anyway.
You're right
But the case I want to use is like the example picture
It's also got big washers

Thank you very much for your reply
Attachments
Slot_Counterbore.FCStd
(77.76 KiB) Downloaded 40 times
Slot_Counterbore_ScrewTop.png
Slot_Counterbore_ScrewTop.png (108.71 KiB) Viewed 1173 times
Slot_Counterbore_ScrewFront.png
Slot_Counterbore_ScrewFront.png (103.12 KiB) Viewed 1173 times
Slot_Counterbore_Home.png
Slot_Counterbore_Home.png (144.7 KiB) Viewed 1173 times
xsuper9988

Post by xsuper9988 »

There is even a "Corresponding Machining Tool" for this application
But if this "request new function" will cause a lot of trouble for the software in the future
So whether to cancel it depends on the results of everyone's discussion?
Attachments
Slot_Counterbore_exp3.png
Slot_Counterbore_exp3.png (585.93 KiB) Viewed 1157 times
GeneFC
Veteran

Post by GeneFC »

xsuper9988 wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 11:40 pm But if this "request new function" will cause a lot of trouble for the software in the future
It won't cause any trouble at all if it is done correctly.

I would not expect to use it, but if someone wants to code it and add it to FreeCAD I would certainly not object. I am sure I do not use 99% of those sorts of special functions.

But no problem.

Gene