[Sketcher] Feature Idea (UX related?)

About the development of the Part Design module/workbench. PLEASE DO NOT POST HELP REQUESTS HERE!
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
obelisk79
Veteran

[Sketcher] Feature Idea (UX related?)

Post by obelisk79 »

@abdullah @paddle

First off, I think sketcher in FC is a really powerful implementation. I have used some other software in the past which have little features that I think could further enhance the experience in Sketcher. I have tagged you both due to your direct involvement in developing this workbench and I hold your opinions in this area with high regard. Since it is my understanding that you have been performing a lot of refactoring, perhaps now would be a good time to experiment with some new ideas. Here are two features/enhancements I would like to propose for consideration by the community and developers. Of course everything should be entirely optional and not forced on anyone by default if potentially contentious.

1. I would like to see the ability to control the line-weight in preferences. Specifically, I believe it would be beneficial to control line thickness of both constructive (normal lines, arcs, and splines)and reference geometry (construction, external reference etc) independently. ie this could allow to not only set different colors for the various wire types, but also make reference geometry visually pronounced (ie thinner).
---The ability to make construction lines patterned (dashed or dotted) would be an added plus but I believe that I have read in previous forum posts that this is not reasonably simple to implement in sketcher at this time. Patterns and line-width differentiation would help users who have color impaired vision as an added bonus.

2. Add a checkbox for the following "Hide Non-Dimensional Constraints", with the current behavior it requires a bit of fiddling (clicking) around in order to see only the dimensional constraints in more complex sketches. While simpler sketches are always preferred, sometimes they are unavoidable and geometric constraint symbols can quickly clutter up the display and obscure the work being performed. Perhaps consideration could be given to using the spacebar to toggle geometric constraint display similarly to it's current behavior with bodies in Tree-View.
---Additionally, if this is implemented or at least considered, I would like to see the following behavior be associated with this setting, when geometric constraints are 'hidden' have the specific constraints associated with any selected elements display. I guess a sort of 'contextual' display of geometric constraint symbology.

I hope we can have a nice constructive conversation of both the merits and technical feasibility of these items.

Regards,
Obelisk
Shalmeneser
Veteran

Re: [Sketcher] Feature Idea (UX related?)

Post by Shalmeneser »

Hide Non-Dimensional Constraints :
* Sketcher : Constraints list : Filter = Datums (+ Restrict visibility)
Attachments
Capture d’écran 2022-06-14 203807.jpg
Capture d’écran 2022-06-14 203807.jpg (62.37 KiB) Viewed 1963 times
obelisk79
Veteran

Post by obelisk79 »

Shalmeneser wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 6:42 pm Hide Non-Dimensional Constraints :
Correct, I did note in my initial post that this was already feasible, but requires perhaps a bit too many clicks and a pulldown menu instead of a simple toggle where finer control of specific individual constraint types isn't required.
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

I understand your point but I'm against adding any extra buttons or checkboxes in that widget, we were trying to make it more compact and adding that for such a small inconvenience is not a good idea IMO, and I even think it could use some more cleanup.

I agree with the general request for a feature to make construction geometry more differentiable, personally I don't understand what is so hard about making construction geometry dashed for example. I'm certain that coin has the functionality as it is already available for regular objects:
Attachments
Captura de pantalla 2022-06-14 153824.png
Captura de pantalla 2022-06-14 153824.png (3.37 KiB) Viewed 1917 times
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

adrianinsaval wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 7:33 pm personally I don't understand what is so hard about making construction geometry dashed for example
As I understood previous discussions it is not difficult at all to make construction lines dashed, it is currently(!) difficult to this without making the other lines dashed too.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
paddle
Veteran

Post by paddle »

I don't know well the code to display things.
Though I agree that having construction lines thinner and/or dashed could be interesting. Though current state is ok for me too, I'm not really bothered by it.
So yeah, to sum up I think it's a good idea to make line types customizable. Also it would be nice ifit enables people to make 'themes' where more can be customized. However I have no clue how to do that.

Regarding the constrain visibility I have no strong opinion on the matter. However it is apparantly already possible. The only problem is that it's too many clicks right?
But why is it so annoying? It resets everytime you close a sketch (I don't know) ? If so I think the way to go then would be to make the selection saved.
Though maybe your problem is that you want to switch from full visibility to no non-dimensional? In which case you have indeed a lot of click indeed

Then the way would be to have a dropdown where you can select different selections. With either 3 - 9 selection pre-installed. (Or buttons to add/delete new selections but it would add lot of buttons so the widget would get cluttered).
Each selection would save itself. This way users could configure their selections and switch between them easily.
jnxd

Post by jnxd »

paddle wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 8:11 pm I don't know well the code to display things.
Though I agree that having construction lines thinner and/or dashed could be interesting. Though current state is ok for me too, I'm not really bothered by it.
So yeah, to sum up I think it's a good idea to make line types customizable. Also it would be nice ifit enables people to make 'themes' where more can be customized. However I have no clue how to do that.
I would also be interested in seeing better color coding and icons for "internal" geometry like b-spline knots (TODO: make proof of concept).
My latest (or last) project: B-spline Construction Project.
jnxd

Post by jnxd »

Shalmeneser wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 6:42 pm Hide Non-Dimensional Constraints :
I like the colors chosen here. Slightly refreshing.
jnxd wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 7:10 am I would also be interested in seeing better color coding and icons for "internal" geometry like b-spline knots (TODO: make proof of concept).
A demo of what I meant:
internal-coloring-demo.png
internal-coloring-demo.png (66.42 KiB) Viewed 1602 times
Attachments
internal-coloring-demo.svg
(68.35 KiB) Downloaded 42 times
My latest (or last) project: B-spline Construction Project.
abdullah
Veteran

Post by abdullah »

adrianinsaval wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 7:33 pm I agree with the general request for a feature to make construction geometry more differentiable, personally I don't understand what is so hard about making construction geometry dashed for example. I'm certain that coin has the functionality as it is already available for regular objects:
The "hard" part is rather a limitation: The whole sketch is a single layer (single line set). This was done so for efficiency reasons (more line sets = less performance). While it is possible to provide different color for such a multifield, it is not possible to assign other attributes, such as continuous/dashed patterns. The solution for this is to support several layers (several line sets). It is a feature in my list (for other reasons, but could be used this way). In fact, the last refactor was done with this in mind and part of the support is already there.
adrianinsaval wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 7:33 pm I understand your point but I'm against adding any extra buttons or checkboxes in that widget, we were trying to make it more compact and adding that for such a small inconvenience is not a good idea IMO, and I even think it could use some more cleanup.
I tend to agree. The functionality offered is huge in comparison with the control footprint.
jnxd wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 5:57 pm I like the colors chosen here. Slightly refreshing.
Yes, colours are indeed fully customisable.
jnxd wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 5:57 pm A demo of what I meant:
Though marker sets have probably a much lower impact in performance that the linesets, the rationale is the same. You need a node for each different marker. We have two sets now, one for the points (circle marker) and one with circles for the edit mode circles (for example the ones marking the intersections when trimming). Bear in mind that then the selection mechanism needs to be extended too, as knots and pole centers are selectable.

My starting position is that it is not worth it, but this is probably because I overweight substantially functionality over representation...