[FR] Multi Transformation both directions

About the development of the Part Design module/workbench. PLEASE DO NOT POST HELP REQUESTS HERE!
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
cadcam

Re: [FR] Multi Transformation both directions

Post by cadcam »

By the way, it is common in all CADs which i used, that a linner pattern works only from one side (corner).
Agreed, and quite a number of times I have had to move the initial item, redraw, mirror.... If it is 'low hanging fruit' to allow non-symmetric linear patterns it would one up for FreeCAD :D
user1234
Veteran

Post by user1234 »

There a minum example.

mirror_example.FCStd
(59.37 KiB) Downloaded 39 times
0.png
0.png (119.84 KiB) Viewed 1244 times

With all provided tools, i can (count) symmetric, asymmetric and complete symmetric patterns, really really easy. Some (not much, but still) CADs do not even have such combine function like in FreeCAD. It is logical and works as expected. That maybe need such option like, stepsize and occurrences, or other transformation forms like in Draft, but that an other thing and no tragic at all.

cadcam wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 3:22 pm
Agreed, and quite a number of times I have had to move the initial item, redraw, mirror....
You still know it and you do it, what should i say? (Also from the aspect, there are provided tools are in FreeCAD, which you can easily also handle things like that).

Greetings
user1234
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

user1234 wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 4:50 pm With all provided tools, i can (count) symmetric, asymmetric and complete symmetric patterns, really really easy.
It is rather easy if you know in advance exactly where you are heading for, but imagine you have to edit a model, where you had used a linear pattern, and now you have rearranged it to take advantage of some symmetry.

With a symmetric linear pattern it would be just checking a box and possibly adapting the number of occurrences. With the existing tools it could be
- edit the linear pattern, change the number of occurrences
- change the length
- add another linear pattern
- set the number of occurrences with an expression to the same number as in the other linear pattern
- set the length with an expression to the same number as in the other linear pattern

If you use a MultiTransform, you would additionally have to remove the existing linear pattern and recreate it inside of the MultiTransform
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
user1234
Veteran

Post by user1234 »

chrisb wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 6:19 pm It is rather easy if you know in advance exactly where you are heading for, but imagine you have to edit a model, where you had used a linear pattern, and now you have rearranged it to take advantage of some symmetry.
Then i make it like the excample above. Take it in the middle and make two linear pattern in both direction. When i know, i want x patterns in sum, then the first pattern gets Occurrences = (x+1)/2 and the sencond one LinearPattern.Occurrences.

chrisb wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 6:19 pm If you use a MultiTransform, you would additionally have to remove the existing linear pattern and recreate it inside of the MultiTransform
That seems to be a bug. As far as i remember, you also can use a pattern as base for any transform. At least there was a function to implement an existing pattern a multitransform pattern.

Greetings
user1234
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

user1234 wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 6:51 pm As far as i remember, you also can use a pattern as base for any transform. At least there was a function to implement an existing pattern a multitransform pattern.
I thought so as well, but tried now without success. The worst was trying to drag it onto the Multitransform, which resulted in the opposite: The LinearPattern was moved outside of the body.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

It doesn't work as described in the MultiTransform wiki page.
Please confirm, so that it can be fixed or at least reported.
cadcam

Post by cadcam »

You still know it and you do it, what should i say? (Also from the aspect, there are provided tools are in FreeCAD, which you can easily also handle things like that).
May be, but it can take some thinking to come up with a solution, or frustration if you have to
redraw a sketch at location which enables a simple array. This sort of thing should be 'bread and butter' to a parametric modeller and I would argue ideally shouldn't require the user to look at/know about combining various, multitransform, linear pattern, lattice, mirror, draft WB functions.
Here we have a number of very experienced users posting who are not fully sure of the way forward/functionality, not easy for the learner?

BW