Custom thread in hole feature

About the development of the Part Design module/workbench. PLEASE DO NOT POST HELP REQUESTS HERE!
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
acominelli

Custom thread in hole feature

Post by acominelli »

Hi,
I'm using FreeCAD 0.20 (dev) and I found extremely useful the new addition to make threaded holes using the hole tool.
However, I found that the tool only allow you to customize the clearance, but not the pitch of the thread.
Instead, using the fasters external workbench, threads can be customized selecting custom diameter and pitch.

Is a more detailed customization of the thread using the hole tool in progress?

Thank you,
Alessandro
uwestoehr
Veteran

Re: Custom thread in hole feature

Post by uwestoehr »

acominelli wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 3:42 pm However, I found that the tool only allow you to customize the clearance, but not the pitch of the thread.
This is because we follow the ISO or UTC norms. The norms define the pitch of the thread. So the combination of the Profile and the Size setting determine the thread pitch.

For non-standardized threads, you must/can the PartDesign Helix feature.
user1234
Veteran

Post by user1234 »

uwestoehr wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 3:54 pm This is because we follow the ISO
The ISO norm have tables about preferred diameter and pitches, but allows all kind of it. For example the 2.5mm pitch is pretty everywhere in the machines, were a fine thread is needed and the diameter is bigger then 20mm. Also for repairing this is useful, also something like M39.5x2.5, when the parts are expensive or nonexchangeable (because high sophisticated adapted), and the material thickness is limited.

Greetings
user1234
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

It's not always possible to follow one of the norms. So I think it would make a good feature request to have diameter and pitch be exposed to the properties. There could be
  • A special entry in the list where these can be added.
  • The selected values are only initial preset values.
For completely customized threads I would as well recommend the helix, because I think it's not worth exposing all angles and radii as well.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
user1234
Veteran

Post by user1234 »

chrisb wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 5:16 pm A special entry in the list where these can be added.
In many CADs there is a category named custom, where you can add your diameter, pitch and cut angle and cut depth.Just said, this will be mainly not for printing (real threads), but for the drawings and the simplified 3D representation. I use atm not the hole functions, because of the lack of the simplified 3D representation. I solve that with compsolids.

Greetings
user1234

edit
NewJoker
Veteran

Post by NewJoker »

By the way, the option to generate threads for holes automatically is really great but can be quite demanding in terms of computer power for larger models. Thus, it would be good to add cosmetic threads as well. Those should be available for bolts too. Since they are not real representations, they are very light and easy to work with.

Here's an older request for this: https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=43104

P.S. It seems that this feature is not mentioned in the release notes for 0.20 yet. Should I add it ?
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

NewJoker wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 8:59 am P.S. It seems that this feature is not mentioned in the release notes for 0.20 yet. Should I add it ?
Yes please!
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
NewJoker
Veteran

Post by NewJoker »

chrisb wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 11:44 am Yes please!
Done :D I also uploaded a new picture for the PartDesign Hole article.
Last edited by NewJoker on Fri Mar 04, 2022 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bambuko
Veteran

Post by bambuko »

Must be getting old :oops: I am confused...
Do I understand correctly that there is a way of adding "cosmetic" threads to the holes and bolts?
or are you asking for this feature to be added?

I would love to have "lightweight" cosmetic representation of threads in my designs :ugeek:
I am using Link branch and Assembly3
you can also download ... and try it here
excellent Assembly3 tutorials here
NewJoker
Veteran

Post by NewJoker »

bambuko wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 2:44 pm Must be getting old :oops: I am confused...
Do I understand correctly that there is a way of adding "cosmetic" threads to the holes and bolts?
or are you asking for this feature to be added?

I would love to have "lightweight" cosmetic representation of threads in my designs :ugeek:
Unfortunately, there's no such functionality yet. What I added to the release notes refers to true threads generated by the Hole tool.

There's even a very old (dating back to 2013) FR related to cosmetic threads on GitHub: https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/issues/5567