Padding more than 1 shape within same sketch

About the development of the Part Design module/workbench. PLEASE DO NOT POST HELP REQUESTS HERE!
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
briankurzhal

Padding more than 1 shape within same sketch

Post by briankurzhal »

For Part Design, FC14 permitted padding more than 1 shape within the same sketch, (per the old FreeCAD Lesson 02 - Whiffle Ball video tutorial). Unfortunately, it seems that FC19 forbids this. Could this capability be restored, please? Thank you.
Shalmeneser
Veteran

Re: Padding more than 1 shape within same sketch

Post by Shalmeneser »

FC19 (or FC20) is no more FC14. Other day, other way.
Try to find how this is done now. (and video are often bad) (the oldest, the worst for useful tips).
Shalmeneser
Veteran

Post by Shalmeneser »

briankurzhal wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 5:15 pm For PartDesign, FC permitted padding more than 1 shape within the same sketch,
BUT you need to create only ONE object at the end.
TheMarkster
Veteran

Post by TheMarkster »

Can you post an example of a sketch you would use this feature with?
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

I may add that it didn't really work well in the old days. Yes such sketches could be padded, but frequently in later steps all of a sudden one of the parts could disappear.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
drmacro
Veteran

Post by drmacro »

I have used this concept in other cad software. And, there is (I think) similar functionality in the Linkstage branch.

I have also used the macro that allows similar functionality developed by @TheMarkster.

I find, additional, simpler sketches far less confusing in the long run for understanding and/or changing/updating the model.

Becoming comfortable with the tools like external geometry, shapebinders, clones, links, etc., make a workflow without such capabilities actually preferred for me.
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."
bambuko
Veteran

Post by bambuko »

drmacro wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 12:34 pm ... there is (I think) similar functionality in the Linkstage branch....
Yes and sometimes it is useful.
I am using Link branch and Assembly3
you can also download ... and try it here
excellent Assembly3 tutorials here
drmacro
Veteran

Post by drmacro »

bambuko wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 1:14 pm ...
Yes and sometimes it is useful.
I'm sure it is, to some.

I'd much rather create a new sketch and use the external geometry tool. This, to me, is a cleaner way and works better for my way of thinking.

I understand it is my way of working and thinking, so others should use a workflow that suits them.

Having done thousands of CAD models over the years and taught hundreds of users all over the world, I tend to have opinions about workflows...and you know what they say about opinions. :mrgreen:
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."
bambuko
Veteran

Post by bambuko »

drmacro wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 1:59 pm ...I'd much rather create a new sketch and use the external geometry tool...
Don't disagree with you on this one at all.
It also makes it easier to untangle things later when working on old (or done by someone else) model...

On the other hand having an option to pad more than one shape is simply another tool available to a skilled user ;)
I am using Link branch and Assembly3
you can also download ... and try it here
excellent Assembly3 tutorials here
drmacro
Veteran

Post by drmacro »

bambuko wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 2:11 pm
drmacro wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 1:59 pm ...I'd much rather create a new sketch and use the external geometry tool...
Don't disagree with you on this one at all.
It also makes it easier to untangle things later when working on old (or done by someone else) model...

On the other hand having an option to pad more than one shape is simply another tool available to a skilled user ;)
And the skilled user, IMO, will choose ease of long term maintenance over quick and dirty.

And with my aged synapses, I don't need to lay landmines for myself. :mrgreen: