Optionally make reference lines visible.

About the development of the Part Design module/workbench. PLEASE DO NOT POST HELP REQUESTS HERE!
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
kisolre
Veteran

Re: Optionally make reference lines visible.

Post by kisolre »

Sketch can have real points now so placing those at the ends of construction lines could help in this case.
Chrismettal

Post by Chrismettal »

I also found myself needing this many times. I think it would be a good idea to optionally allow construction lines to be visible when the sketch is closed as well. Having a second sketch for this works, and adding points onto the end of construction geometry kinda works as well, but I don't yet see why making construction geometry visible outside the sketch would hurt.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Chrismettal wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 10:35 am but I don't yet see why making construction geometry visible outside the sketch would hurt.
It's a different paradigm. Now you can reference only real geometry and that's it. If you want to use construction stuff make it real geometry and use it as master sketch.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
FBXL5

Post by FBXL5 »

Chrismettal wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 10:35 ambut I don't yet see why making construction geometry visible outside the sketch would hurt.
A sketcher is not a drawing tool.
In first place it is a tool to arrange 2D geometry in order to create open or closed contours to generate solid or face objects.
Nevertheless it can be use for basic assembly or kinematic tasks via master sketch and derived sketches.

For 2D only drawing/drafting tasks the Draft WB is a better choice.
Chrismettal

Post by Chrismettal »

FBXL5 wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 4:28 pm A sketcher is not a drawing tool.

[...]

For 2D only drawing/drafting tasks the Draft WB is a better choice.
I get that. Still, a common workflow is that one or multiple sketches will include construction geometry of mechanical parts that need to be worked around. They are construction geometry so they can be used for constraints. They might even be parametric so the whole model will be made wider after the "PcbWidth" parameter changed. A sketch like this would often be kept visible so you visually see your actual mechanical constraints at all times.

I know, adding a seperate body for that mechanical constraint works. Or a draft. Or a seperate sketch. But why not at least have the option of having construction geometry shown? Would save me a few extra bodies/sketches in most of the projects I do.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Chrismettal wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 4:51 pm But why not at least have the option of having construction geometry shown? Would save me a few extra bodies/sketches in most of the projects I do.
Can you upload a model where this can be seen on a practical use case? From the discussion here I can see only little advantage, but I see that it would make things less clear, where clarity is a valuable good.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
sliptonic
Veteran

Post by sliptonic »

chrisb wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 9:39 pm
Chrismettal wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 4:51 pm But why not at least have the option of having construction geometry shown? Would save me a few extra bodies/sketches in most of the projects I do.
Can you upload a model where this can be seen on a practical use case? From the discussion here I can see only little advantage, but I see that it would make things less clear, where clarity is a valuable good.
When I originally posted, I was expecting to find an advanced option in the view tab of the sketch to show the construction lines. Nothing more is needed. No toolbar button, context menu, or anything. In cases like the layout I was building it would have been handy. I found a work around so it isn't a must-have feature but if enabling visibility through a view provider option is possible, why not?
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

Construction geometries are not included in the sketch's Shape property and they should not ever be. Is it possible to have a constuctionShape property and make it displayed (with different color IMO) and properly selectable in the 3d view? If answer is not, feature proposal can be discarded IMO, if yes, we'll have to wait for someone with the know how and desire to code all that.