Part Helix used in Part Design Sweep

About the development of the Part Design module/workbench. PLEASE DO NOT POST HELP REQUESTS HERE!
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
DrC

Re: Part Helix used in Part Design Sweep

Post by DrC »

Oops - just found the Addon manager bug is already being addressed, DrC.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

DrC wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 1:00 pm Oops - just found the Addon manager bug is already being addressed, DrC.
Indeed, and you probably saw that it is solved if you use the highly recommended version 0.19.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
DrC

Post by DrC »

Yes but 0.19 is beyond my comfort zone at the moment. After thinking about it, one of the options in the thread cutting tutorial has got me started using part workbench rather than part designer. I'm still not sure what frenet means except that it turns the swept shape in the way that does the job!

So provided I start with the twisted extrusion I can build a part. It would still be nice to build twisted extrusions on oblique faces of an existing model in PartDesign, but at the moment it would merely be to complete the tool kit. The key would be getting the helix axis aligned with the face normal.

Thanks again for being there to get me going.

DrC
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

DrC wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 6:56 pm Yes but 0.19 is beyond my comfort zone at the moment.
I may note that 0.19 is very far from being experimental. From a user's point of view it is more stable, shows less errors and more features.
If you want to stick to 0.18, then you can load and unpack 0.19 for the sole reason of installing Addons. Once installed with 0.19 they will be available in 0.18 too. You even can remove 0.19 after installation.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
DrC

Post by DrC »

OK ...

The 'PreRelease' label, added to your reassurance sold it to me, so I've now got both.

0.19 seems quite happy with my collection of models including my helical trial so I'll be using it for ongoing work.

Ironically (doesn't matter to me now) the Gears workbench isn't in the extensive list of add-ons I can now see.

Thanks again for all your help

DrC
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

What is called Gears in the list of workbenches is (unluckily) called FCGear in the list of addons.