Testing 0.14 migration of PartDesign features to Body

About the development of the Part Design module/workbench. PLEASE DO NOT POST HELP REQUESTS HERE!
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
jrheinlaender

Testing 0.14 migration of PartDesign features to Body

Post by jrheinlaender »

Hi,

in 0.14 all PartDesign features need to be migrated to nest under the Body feature. So I implemented an automatic migration... but now I need parts to test that. And since the parts I devise myself will probably always migrate without a hitch I'd welcome any of your parts that you can spare for testing.

A related question is what the migration should do with parts that have mixed Part and PartDesign features?

Thanks,
Jan
jriegel
Founder

Re: Testing 0.14 migration of PartDesign features to Body

Post by jriegel »

jrheinlaender wrote: A related question is what the migration should do with parts that have mixed Part and PartDesign features?
Jan
Uh, thats a tough one!
I think the non-PartDesign features have to stay outside of the Body, as a kind of external reference. Maybe sort them in a group with the same name as the Body.

In Catia this is calles hybrid design.
Stop whining - start coding!
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

I have a bunch of moderately complex parts there. https://github.com/normandc/Lulzbot-TK- ... ster/FCStd
jrheinlaender

Post by jrheinlaender »

I have a bunch of moderately complex parts there
Thanks for the parts. I noticed that a lot of the sub-features of MultiTranform are missing references e.g. mirror planes. Specific example: Bearing_Holder.fcstd is missing the mirror plane reference for feature "Mirrored".
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

I have no idea why. Those parts were modeled 7 months ago on 0.13.1764, possibly since then the Mirrored feature was changed?
jrheinlaender

Post by jrheinlaender »

OK I think I found out what happened. The first version of Mirrored etc. allowed to select just the "vertical direction" as mirror plane in a Property called StdMirrorPlane. Later logari81 pointed out that "vertical" makes no sense because someone might change the Placement manually. So on Jan. 9th he pushed these changes among others:

remove StdDirection,StdAxis and StdMirrorPlane properties
support sketch H_Axis, V_Axis, N_axis as valid references in patterns

So probably your parts made use of the three properties mentioned above.

Meaning that you probably need to check through them all and select "vertical sketch axis" or "horizontal sketch axis" as the reference. Otherwise they fail on recompute.