[Feature idea/development/request ]: Ability for PD to accept open sketch to create surfaces

About the development of the Part Design module/workbench. PLEASE DO NOT POST HELP REQUESTS HERE!
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Piero69

[Feature idea/development/request ]: Ability for PD to accept open sketch to create surfaces

Post by Piero69 »

A strong enhancement for the future is to implement the ability for PD to accept open sketch to create surfaces features just like solid ones. Practically a strong "all in one" surface and solid modeler

what do you think?
FBXL5

Re: [Feature idea/development/request ]: Ability for PD to accept open sketch to create surfaces

Post by FBXL5 »

Piero69 wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 8:01 am implement the ability for PD to accept open sketch to create surfaces features
I don't need that in PartDesign, Part can do that already.
Piero69

Re: [Feature idea/development/request ]: Ability for PD to accept open sketch to create surfaces

Post by Piero69 »

FBXL5 wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 11:12 am
Piero69 wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 8:01 am implement the ability for PD to accept open sketch to create surfaces features
I don't need that in PartDesign, Part can do that already.
yes i know but Part is an "old way to work" it's not parametric with sketch like PD, this is the modern and universal way to work now.

obviously this is my opinion
Shalmeneser
Veteran

Post by Shalmeneser »

PartDesign wb is only Solid modeler.
Part wb can do surface from sketch.
I don't want to do surface inside PD wb.
FBXL5

Post by FBXL5 »

Piero69 wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 12:02 pm Part is an "old way to work" it's not parametric with sketch
Part tools work quite well with sketches and there are some properties to set. I would call that parametric.
onekk
Veteran

Post by onekk »

Piero69 wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 12:02 pm yes i know but Part is an "old way to work" it's not parametric with sketch like PD, this is the modern and universal way to work now.
Yes, but it is not very 'modern', as the modernity is BREP modelling that Part can do and Part Design not.

You are mistaken some things.

The two modelling paradigms are:

CSG that Part Implement using "geometric primitives" as solids. And Part Design implement with his "feature editing" workflow.

BREP that Part implement using his Surface tools and the 3d Topology, and Part Design is not capable and probably will be not capable to do.

Part is perfectly parametric as you can use expression or maybe Spreadsheet.

Part is not the old way as Part Design use it "behing the curtains" no Part no Solids in FC as it is the main interface to OCCT API.

Probably this is one of most hidden secrets of FC but his keep very visible if you read carefully the "Introductory documentation".

Regards

Carlo D.
GitHub page: https://github.com/onekk/freecad-doc.
- In deep articles on FreeCAD.
- Learning how to model with scripting.
- Various other stuffs.

Blog: https://okkmkblog.wordpress.com/
wsteffe

Post by wsteffe »

Piero69 wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 8:01 am A strong enhancement for the future is to implement the ability for PD to accept open sketch to create surfaces features just like solid ones.
You may find it in the LinkDaily branch. It has an Extrude command similar to that one of Part WB.
onekk
Veteran

Post by onekk »

wsteffe wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 12:52 pm
Piero69 wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 8:01 am A strong enhancement for the future is to implement the ability for PD to accept open sketch to create surfaces features just like solid ones.
You may find it in the LinkDaily branch. It has an Extrude command similar to that one of Part WB.
Problem is not to do things, it is to integrate with the Part Design (PD) paradisgm of "Feature editing".

https://wiki.freecadweb.org/Feature_editing

This is partly a negation of this "pilosophy"

A surface has to be joined to other surface, to form a shell and a shell should be a "watertight" "boundary representation" (BREP) of the solid. in other word see:

https://wiki.freecadweb.org/Topological_data_scripting

Were it describe the Geometry and Topology.

So if you have to build a solid, using surfaces, you have to create a "multi body" object or similar that contains all the faces that enclose a space to make the shell...

So it is something "radical" as a change in the PD workflow.

And it is not trivial, as "face boundaries" must match to create a "manifold" (aka watertight) shell.

Regards

Carlo D.
- Various other stuffs.

wsteffe

Post by wsteffe »

onekk wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 2:53 pm Problem is not to do things,
IMO it is just the opposite. I don't care at all about philosophy. To me the Problem is exactly to have the possibility do what I need to do.
In example I need to make structures containing solids together with surfaces. In fact in my electromagnetic problems, the first are used to represent the physical domains while the latter are used to define boundary conditions or (after having been imported in my simulator) as splitting tools defining a domain decomposition.

The following image gives an example of a structure (designed with FC LinkDaily) that includes as set of parallel splitting surfaces
Screenshot.png
Screenshot.png (249.92 KiB) Viewed 1635 times
In the past I had a long discussion with a few FC developers who didn't want to allow more than one solid in the same body.
But quite often I need to create more solids in the same Body. So I switched to RT branch which is driven by pragmatic
objectives (and not by philosophers).
onekk
Veteran

Post by onekk »

wsteffe wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 3:33 pm In the past I had a long discussion with a few FC developers who didn't want to allow more than one solid in the same body.
But quite often I need to create more solids in the same Body. So I switched to RT branch which is driven by pragmatic
objectives (and not by philosophers).

The point is different, RT is the lead developers, and use the "great work" made by FC developers to create "his own version" of FC.

It is more easy for RT to make modification as he has no "responsabilities" of "breaking things" and considering things like "compatibility with old drawings" an make things work across versions.

RT is a very good programmer, and his a "good fellow", but confronting "his fork" with the stock FC is a totally different thing.

Let's see what future will reserve, however there is not a competition, as FC have his own goals and RT have slightly different goals, so "long live RT" as he is sharing his works with FC developers to mitigate TNP, thing that is very generous.

Simply goals are different, what you call philosophy IMHO is another thing, see maybe the "big divergence" between stock FC and "RT version" in terms of "rejoining sources", his version is rather "behind" the development version of FC, but this could be due to different reason, let's see if when TNP mitigiation will be integrated in FC this "divergence" will decrease, and let's see if some other RT "intuition" or implementation will be implemented in "stock FC".

Some time ago a change in "stock FC" has made many "drawing unusable" and after a user has noted this situation saying that his has "vanished" countless "man hours" of works, the change was reverted to "maintain compatibility", so I prefer to stay with "stock FC", as it seems to be "one of the main" FC developers concern, and IMHO this is a good point in favour of remaining with stock FC..

Regards

Carlo D.
- Various other stuffs.