Centrif constraint will not accept centerline

About the development of the FEM module/workbench.

Moderator: bernd

Westcliffe01

Centrif constraint will not accept centerline

Post by Westcliffe01 »

Running FreeCAD 0.20.1

Have been trying to use the Centrif constraint on my part in preparing to run FEA. The centerline of rotation needs to be defined so I created 2 points and a datum line. But the Centrif constraint will not accept the line. Error message as per attached picture. Have no idea what the problem is. It says Invalid subelement name ??? I have followed the creation of the model the same as other on Youtube, but my version of the code will NOT accept a line.
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (186.41 KiB) Viewed 950 times
NewJoker
Veteran

Re: Centrif constraint will not accept centerline

Post by NewJoker »

It would be nice if it worked with datum lines but you can use Draft Wire or Part Line instead.
Westcliffe01

Post by Westcliffe01 »

Thank you, that fixed the problem. It was not at all obvious that I needed to go to a different workbench to create the line. The part line is also well hidden in the part workbench toolbar, I was not expecting to find it in the primitives. It would be great for the manual to clarify the kind of line that is acceptable.
Westcliffe01

Post by Westcliffe01 »

In a slightly related question, is there any particular reason why there seems to be a preference for Gmsh mesh for centrif type analysis vs Netgen mesh ? I have found the Gmsh mesher to be quite fussy about its parameters and sometimes I cant get it to mesh error free regardless of what I do, whereas the Netgen mesher seems super reliable even if using much finer mesh for the application ?
NewJoker
Veteran

Post by NewJoker »

Westcliffe01 wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 2:54 am In a slightly related question, is there any particular reason why there seems to be a preference for Gmsh mesh for centrif type analysis vs Netgen mesh ?
I don't think that there is such a preference. It might be related to the specifics of your geometry used for this purpose. Try with FreeCAD 0.21 dev version. And make sure that you set reasonable mesh size.