Simple 2D multibody FEA

About the development of the FEM module/workbench.

Moderator: bernd

bernd
Veteran

Re: Simple 2D multibody FEA

Post by bernd »

Does it mean it is a simple multimaterial heat analysis. Cool.

Did you solve it with calculix or Elmer? Both should give similar results, should they not?
kdarte

Post by kdarte »

bernd wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 6:13 pm Did you solve it with calculix or Elmer? Both should give similar results, should they not?
So far I only worked with Elmer (you need to start somewhere.. I am rather new to the whole FEM business and used COMSOL/Ansys for the last few months, but now looking for some open-source solutions). If this is of interest, I could try to repeat the calculation also with calculix - of course, ideally, they will give a very similar answer.

Funny enough, today I failed to export an .unv that preserves multibodies also in "external" Elmer with the exact same FreeCAD-File from yesterday where this was still possible. Although I was able to assign two materials and run the simulation from the FEM-Workbench, the exported mesh was only one single body when opened with Elmer externally.

It took me quite some time but it might be because I use gmsh shipped with freecad right now, but yesterday I had set the path to a seperately downloaded gmsh-binary where I had changed some settings... These apparently affected the exported mesh created by gmesh envoked from within freeCAD.
bernd
Veteran

Post by bernd »

AFAIK we do not have a example for a multimaterial analysis in elmer. I did not even know this works ... :geek:

We should extend official FEM examples with multimaterial analysis done in elmer if this really works.

Uwe ... how about this?