Solids within a solid that are meshable by gmsh

About the development of the FEM module/workbench.

Moderator: bernd

Gary R

Solids within a solid that are meshable by gmsh

Post by Gary R »

Hi all,
I seem to be returning to some form of this question again and again. The following refers to 3D cases. If I have a solid of material A and I have internal structure of material B where I want gmsh to mesh each solid separately and I want to assign different boundary conditions to each, how can I produce such an object in freecad. I can do this in 2D but have not found a way to do it in 3D. A good example is 2 concentric spheres of different material where I wish to determine the temperature gradient through the assembly. I would give an example but can not produce one.

Gary R
chrisb
Veteran

Re: Solids within a solid that are meshable by gmsh

Post by chrisb »

Moved from Help forum.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
NewJoker
Veteran

Re: Solids within a solid that are meshable by gmsh

Post by NewJoker »

Gary R wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 2:04 am A good example is 2 concentric spheres of different material where I wish to determine the temperature gradient through the assembly. I would give an example but can not produce one.
You can do it with the help of the Part Compound tool:

spheres.png
spheres.png (261.99 KiB) Viewed 600 times

Spheres.FCStd
(975.73 KiB) Downloaded 26 times

The problem is that apparently body flux and initial temperature can't be applied to individual parts so I had to apply a temperature to the inside face instead.
Gary R

Re: Solids within a solid that are meshable by gmsh (solved)

Post by Gary R »

Hello NJ
Thanks a whole lot. The compound function is exactly what I needed. There is still the problem of trying to attach bounderies but that is for another forum.

Thanks again.

Gary R