Plastic Material FEM: Less deformation at higher pressures with temperature

About the development of the FEM module/workbench.

Moderator: bernd

Bimdan

Plastic Material FEM: Less deformation at higher pressures with temperature

Post by Bimdan »

With what limited info I do know about plastics they can be far from predictable where the temperature is concerned.
  • I've basically created a pipe with a set pressure on the bore facing outwards
  • Set ambient temp to 20C
  • Set a fixed heat source temp to 60C on the bore
  • Using generic PP as a material
As I increase the pressure the resulting shift in deformation is all over the place, example:

2 bar 0.46mm
10 bar 0.45mm
20 bar 0.44mm
100 bar 0.34mm
500 bar 0.32mm

Am I missing something?
NewJoker
Veteran

Re: Plastic Material FEM: Less deformation at higher pressures with temperature

Post by NewJoker »

Can you share the file or some screenshots ? It’s hard to say without being able to see the model and the results. How is the pipe fixed ? Where do these displacements occur and how does the deformed shape of the model look like ? What about the stresses ?

It would be good to move this topic to the FEM subforum.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Moved.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Bimdan

Post by Bimdan »

Thank you and sorry for posting in the wrong forum. I did see this one and think I just need help and it's not contributing to the FEM development...unless it's a bug :P

OK so I have re-run everything with the view of packaging up to share and now my 100 bar displacement magnitude is 0.91mm (previously 0.34mm)

Newjoker: Will do I just would expect to see the most displacement located at the source of the pressure and consistently increase along with pressure.

I will share once I've re-run my pressure points but in the meantime is there some sort of polluting cache that needs to be flushed and isn't? I suppose it could be my work flow which is:

Change pressure
Change heat source temp C
Run Solver
View CCX
Repeat

Previously I use to delete the CCX with every solver run as paranoid it didn't refresh properly (unfounded on my part)
-alex-
Veteran

Post by -alex- »

Bimdan wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 8:28 am I will share once I've re-run my pressure points but in the meantime is there some sort of polluting cache that needs to be flushed and isn't?
If I get you right, juste clic RMB on mesh object then select "clear mesh" (do not delete the mesh object itself).
Then share your lightweighted file, you will get more help.