[Help] FEM transient analysis

About the development of the FEM module/workbench.

Moderator: bernd

david69
Veteran

Re: [Help] FEM transient analysis

Post by david69 »

dinodano, you may give a look to the wiki
https://wiki.freecadweb.org/FEM_Workbench#Tutorials

are you aware that there are FEM embedded examples into FreeCAD? It can give you clues.
https://wiki.freecadweb.org/FEM_Example ... _Workbench
NewJoker
Veteran

Post by NewJoker »

dinodano wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 8:36 am I set thermo mech steady state as false, click on SolverCcxTools, select thermomechanical, select write .inp file, select edit .inp file, make changes on the editor, select Run Calculix.
Should I be exporting and importing the inp file with SolverCcxTools selected? I am not sure on how to go about it and which file format and editing, my apologies, very new to FreeCAD and FEM.
I checked this approach and it seems that it didn't work because you probably didn't save the input file after editing it. You have to use the FreeCAD's Save button (or Ctrl+S) to save the file and then click the Run CalculiX button.
dinodano

Post by dinodano »

NewJoker wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 9:01 am you just have to place the ccx_static.exe file in the same folder as your input file, open the command line (type cmd in the address bar of Windows File Explorer) then type ccx_static input_file_name and hit Enter.
Thank you so much for the help!

I tried following the steps but I got this error when running it through cmd. I've attached the relevant images and FEMMeshGmsh.inp is my inp file.

Thank you again. I really appreciate it. :D
Attachments
ccx_static_cmd.jpg
ccx_static_cmd.jpg (22.69 KiB) Viewed 638 times
ccx_static_directory.jpg
ccx_static_directory.jpg (65.92 KiB) Viewed 638 times
Last edited by dinodano on Fri Jul 01, 2022 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dinodano

Post by dinodano »

NewJoker wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 2:33 pm I checked this approach and it seems that it didn't work because you probably didn't save the input file after editing it. You have to use the FreeCAD's Save button (or Ctrl+S) to save the file and then click the Run CalculiX button.
Oh! I just tried this! It worked after saving the file! Thank you so much.
I would like to ask how do I use the edited inp file? After editing the inp file on Notepad++ (thank you for introducing this app to me), I clicked write .inp file and it just created a new inp file without regards for the inp file i edited out of FreeCAD. Am I running the inp file incorrectly?

Thank you :D I am only surviving my internship because of your help :DD, I am having so much fun learning new tools on FreeCAD and your help has made my learning experience more enjoyable
dinodano

Post by dinodano »

david69 wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 12:23 pm dinodano, you may give a look to the wiki
https://wiki.freecadweb.org/FEM_Workbench#Tutorials

are you aware that there are FEM embedded examples into FreeCAD? It can give you clues.
https://wiki.freecadweb.org/FEM_Example ... _Workbench
Oh I did not know such functions existed in FreeCAD! I will check it out, thank you so much :D
david69
Veteran

Post by david69 »

good if it helps you, and I think there are some documentation on Github, but that, I am not familiar with. @bernd do you confirm?
NewJoker
Veteran

Post by NewJoker »

dinodano wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 4:30 pm I tried following the steps but I got this error when running it through cmd.
You have to open the command window in the same location as the one with solver and input files. Go to this directory in File Explorer, then type cmd in the address bar and confirm with Enter. This will open the command window in the right location so that you don’t have to navigate to it manually using the cd command.

dinodano wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 4:30 pm I would like to ask how do I use the edited inp file? After editing the inp file on Notepad++ (thank you for introducing this app to me), I clicked write .inp file and it just created a new inp file without regards for the inp file i edited out of FreeCAD. Am I running the inp file incorrectly?
The order is:
1) Write the input file in FreeCAD
2) Go to the directory in which it’s located
3) Edit and save the file using text editor (like Notepad++)
4) Click Run CalculiX

If you click Write .inp file instead of Run CalculiX, FreeCAD will create a new input file ignoring the previous one that you edited.