FEM step by step dynamic analysis

About the development of the FEM module/workbench.

Moderator: bernd

Mctheghoul

FEM step by step dynamic analysis

Post by Mctheghoul »

Hi, I'm trying to run a different type of analysis on the python console for a FEM model I'm working on currently, but so far not much progress:
Basically, I'm trying to run a step by step dynamic analysis of my model which I'm trying to decompose into the following steps:

-Running an initial static/(dynamic ideally) analysis of the model on CCX

-Save the resulting mesh with displacements, stresses and modified characteristics of the model

-Write a new inp file with new displacement values extracted from a different software/file and applied onto the displaced model

-Rinse and repeat for a user defined simulation time divided into a defined number of steps

-Extract and show animation of the whole simulation, or all the previous result files of each step

I've based some ideas on these threads but it didn't clear up much for me:
thread
thread
thread
thread
thread
thread

And the FEM tutorial, of course: https://wiki.freecadweb.org/FEM_Tutorial_Python

Here's what I've gathered, or hypothesized:

- Deep inside the write_inp_file() function, there's another function called write_step_equation(inpfile, self), which controls/write the type of analysis run by the calculix solver, so if I create/add a loop inside that function for *DYNAMIC or *MODAL_DYNAMIC analysis, could that work? That also means implementing something to read/write the displacement for the external input(software/user).

That loop could look something like this, correct me if I'm wrong:
In the inp file:

Code: Select all

[**List of model properties(mesh, nodes, node_geometry, material, node sets for constraints(displacement, fixed, planetary...)
*NSET, NEST=ActuatorNodes
Node_number_1
**Initial step
*STEP
*STATIC
**Parameters dependent on steps(self weight, constraints, fluid flow...)
**Outputs
*END STEP]

In Python:
[code]
[For step in step_time:
	new_displacement=Calculate_and_return_new_diplacement(external_file/software)#function to create
	new_step_inp_file=add_step_to_inp_file(new_displacement, previous_inp_file)#function to create, that does the following inp modification	]

In inp file:[code]
[**Copy/or open first file in the new inp, with fea.write_inp_file(),
*STEP
*MODAL DYNAMIC, PERTURBATION or *STATIC,PERTURBATION *******Which saves previous step results(mesh status, stresses, displacement and includes them in the new step( from [url][https://www.feacluster.com/CalculiX/ccx_2.18/doc/ccx/node332.html]) 
Initial_time_increment value, Time_period_of_the_step
**Parameters dependent on steps(self weight, new constraints deleting previous displacement, fluid flow...) with write_constraints_propdata()
**Outputs
*END STEP]

Once all steps are complete, I've yet to understand how to visualize the animation of the result, since I'm not sure it's possible on FreeCAD, i'll have to use ParaView, or another visualizer.

Here's my idea of the beginning of the python code to run for the dynamic step by step FEM analysis:
[code]
[#Hypothesis that Geometry, Analysis, SolverCCX, Material, Self Weight, Initial displacement and Mesh are set for the model in the GUI

def dynamic_loading_test(freeCAD_doc_path, test_time_length,time_increment, init_disp):
	nb_steps=test_time_length//time_increment
	step_nb=0
	# opening the geometry and analysis FreeCAD file
	FreeCAD.openDocument(freeCAD_doc_path)
	file_name=os.path.splitext(os.path.basename(freeCAD_doc_path))[0]
	App.setActiveDocument(file_name)
	App.ActiveDocument=App.getDocument(file_name)
	freeCAD_doc=App.ActiveDocument

# activating analysis
    	import FemGui
    	FemGui.setActiveAnalysis(freeCAD_doc.Analysis)

# run the analysis step by step for the first one
    	from femtools import ccxtools
   	fea = ccxtools.FemToolsCcx()
   	fea.update_objects()
    	fea.setup_working_dir()
   	fea.setup_ccx()
    	message = fea.check_prerequisites()
    	if not message:
        	fea.purge_results()
        	fea.write_inp_file() #initial displacement
        	fea.ccx_run()
        	fea.load_results()
	else:
		FreeCAD.Console.PrintError("Houston, we have a problem! {}\n".format(message))  # in report view
        	print("Houston, we have a problem! {}\n".format(message))  # in python console
        # loop
        while step_nb<=nb_steps :
		new_displacement=Calculate_and_return_new_diplacement(external_file/software)#function to create
		new_step_inp_file=add_step_to_inp_file(new_displacement, previous_inp_file)#function to create, that does the following inp modification
		# run the analysis for each step or create a new analysis for each step?
    		fea_step = ccxtools.FemToolsCcx()
   		fea_step.update_objects()
    		fea_step.setup_working_dir()
   		fea_step.setup_ccx()
    		message = fea_step.check_prerequisites()
    		if not message:
        		fea_step.purge_results()
        		fea_step.ccx_run()
        		fea_step.load_results()
        		step_nb+=1
		else:
			FreeCAD.Console.PrintError("Houston, we have a problem! {}\n".format(message))  # in report view
        		print("Houston, we have a problem! {}\n".format(message))  # in python console
        ]	
I've also attached my File for the geometry I'm working with, the force would be exerted on the small beam protruding from the frame.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you for your time.
-
Attachments
Test Frame.FCStd
FreeCAD
(579.98 KiB) Downloaded 28 times
Last edited by Kunda1 on Tue May 31, 2022 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fixed url bbcode: should be [url=URL]linkname[/url]
Jee-Bee
Veteran

Re: FEM step by step dynamic analysis

Post by Jee-Bee »

After writing the inp file you are able to edit it.
So a dynamic analysis should be feasible. that said @bernd has a background in buidings etc. So there no features implemented that help dynamically. Think about Masses, Springs and dampers or less problematic amplitude...

If you don't need features that need acces to the mesh it should possible to modify the inp by it self.
If you like to dive in the code and add more structure for dynamic calculations it would be great. If you like so i would recommended to Start simple for example add add *Rigid Body or *Symmetry. That way you learn the structure of the FEM WB. After that you can think about more dynamic calculations. As a test you can add the *perturbation step to the frequency analysis also there are multiple steps what currently not is implemented.