FEM Pipeline units on last dev versions

About the development of the FEM module/workbench.

Moderator: bernd

wmayer
Founder

Re: FEM Pipeline units on last dev versions

Post by wmayer »

I am not sure if the latest commit fixes the issues you have observed. If not then I wonder how realistic this scenario is and whether it's a serious problem for you.

I have added some test code inside SoFCColorBarBase::getBoundingWidth() to make sure that the correct sub-scene graph is passed to SoGetBoundingBoxAction and it looked all good. This means the scene graph contained the correct number of SoText2 nodes and their string values where correctly set.

If the problem must be analyzed further we have to find out what the reason is that under certain circumstances the SoText2 nodes don't contribute to the width of the bounding box.

EDIT: Might be related to https://github.com/coin3d/coin/issues/417
user1234
Veteran

Post by user1234 »

wmayer wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 9:30 am git commit 80bdc3f960
Thanks!

wmayer wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 9:59 am I am not sure if the latest commit fixes the issues you have observed.
Not completely, when the ratio is still the same, the error while generating the pipeline is still there. Even when there is an existing pipeline with this behavior, then it still exists. But it is "easier" to get back to normal with wiggling the screen rims.

wmayer wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 9:59 am If not then I wonder how realistic this scenario is and whether it's a serious problem for you.
I only have one monitor, which is most of the time vertical divided. So my FreeCAD screen ratio is around often lesser then 1:1, which means i ran pretty very time in this error, but don not know how other people work. The good thing is with the wiggling, i can easy correct it. Also i am not doing FEM every day. There are sometimes periods, while i have nothing to do with FEM. For me it is no bonebreaker, since commercial programs sometimes have much more serious troubles with FEM representation. But i can not speck for others.

It would be just nice, when somehow it would be fixed before next next (0.21 stable).

Greetings
user1234
wmayer
Founder

Post by wmayer »

user1234 wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 1:47 pm It would be just nice, when somehow it would be fixed before next next (0.21 stable).
I was right with my assumption that it could be related to the reported Coin bug. I have built a Coin version locally and added some printf statements and it exactly happens that the SoText2 nodes are ignored because they are outside the (virtual) view frustum.

So,
  • now we know the reason of the problem and
  • we can check if we can work around this Coin regression
user1234
Veteran

Post by user1234 »

No stress, it seems that it is not that important, else others also would crying.

Greetings
user1234
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

wmayer wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 2:09 pm I have built a Coin version locally and added some printf statements and it exactly happens that the SoText2 nodes are ignored because they are outside the (virtual) view frustum.
@wmayer thank you very much for all your work!
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
wmayer
Founder

Post by wmayer »

git commit 77627bbc23 is a workaround for the Coin3D issue
user1234
Veteran

Post by user1234 »

wmayer wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 5:42 pm git commit 77627bbc23 is a workaround for the Coin3D issue
Before writing something about this commit, a little disclaimer. Once a time, i was in school, the school get discounted licenses for CATIA. For that, they had to buy licensed CATIA (50!) PCs with OS on their own, which cost at minimum the double then a normal PC, for that all works. Proud of this stuff, we (the first) tried everything but ran in a few, but really really nasty bugs. For example, everytime we did a FEM output, when we close the output, CATIA crashed. Then the school claimed it, because they have extra paid for the licensed PCs/OS combination especially for everything works. DS only said: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ ...... and no fix (ever).

Here the fix was lesser then one fuc*ing day! Thanks! And thanks for all devs, it is really awesome!

Greetings
user1234
Jee-Bee
Veteran

Post by Jee-Bee »

user1234 wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 6:24 pm DS only said: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ ...... and no fix (ever).
Nothing changed on that side haha
user1234
Veteran

Post by user1234 »

2 years after this, it get even much much worse. But then i was not in the school anymore, so i can not tell if it was absolutely true, so i do not want to tell about that. But with all CAD system i work, i get mind boggling experience with the CAD companies, where in other in real life business, they will get asap in position to the court. It makes me wonder, why they get through to all till now, and i do not speak about the prices, that is an other thing.

Jee-Bee wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 10:28 am Nothing changed on that side
Seems so.

Greetings
user1234
uwestoehr
Veteran

Post by uwestoehr »

wmayer wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 5:42 pm git commit 77627bbc23 is a workaround for the Coin3D issue
Many thanks. It works well for me.