Documentation of FEM workbench for v0.20

About the development of the FEM module/workbench.

Moderator: bernd

Kunda1
Veteran

Documentation of FEM workbench for v0.20

Post by Kunda1 »

Need some volunteers to go through the FEM Workbench related wiki pages and see if they are all up to date with v0.20
This means all Fem workbench commands, FEM Preferences, and Fem related Tutorials.

Once we have interested volunteers, we can figure out how to split the tasks up between everyone to make it lighter work
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
Kunda1
Veteran

Re: Documentation of FEM workbench for v0.20

Post by Kunda1 »

FEM tutorials in the wiki
FEM tutorials in the wiki
Screenshot_20220506_165815.png (756.16 KiB) Viewed 6064 times
Is someone open to updating the Tutorials#FEM for v0.20 release?
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
HarryvL
Veteran

Post by HarryvL »

Kunda1 wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 9:00 pm Screenshot_20220506_165815.png

Is someone open to updating the Tutorials#FEM for v0.20 release?
I will have a look at the three I wrote.
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

HarryvL wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 3:59 am I will have a look at the three I wrote.
Thanks!
HarryvL
Veteran

Post by HarryvL »

My conclusion is as follows:

FEM shear analysis of a composite block (v0.17): This is old, confusing and not very practical. I would prefer to delete.

Analysis of reinforced concrete with FEM (v0.19): I tested this and everything still works on v0.20. The tutorial is also still relevant. No update required. Having said that, there is a regression in v0.20 in that Mohr Columb stresses for concrete are not calculated correctly. This needs attention. Finally, I would remove the (v.019) in the title.

Post-Processing of FEM results with Paraview (v0.19): I would like to congratulate the author for this impressive piece of work ;). It all works on v0.20 and is still relevant. Let's not change it. Again, I would remove the (v.019) in the title.
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

Thanks for the analysis!
@uwestoehr just a heads up, do you concur with this analysis?
uwestoehr
Veteran

Post by uwestoehr »

HarryvL wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 8:09 am FEM shear analysis of a composite block (v0.17): This is old, confusing and not very practical. I would prefer to delete.
You are the author, therefore I wonder. However, I would prefer to update it for FC 0.20. Can you do this?
What I like with the tutorial is that it explains the concept o f mesh regions.
HarryvL wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 8:09 am Analysis of reinforced concrete with FEM (v0.19): I tested this and everything still works on v0.20. The tutorial is also still relevant. No update required. Having said that, there is a regression in v0.20 in that Mohr Columb stresses for concrete are not calculated correctly. This needs attention.
Can you please start a new forum thread for this issue and CC me there?

I can add that I took
https://wiki.freecadweb.org/FEM_Example ... _Two_Balls
as reference for my work on the FEM workbench, so it is in a good shape I think.
HarryvL
Veteran

Post by HarryvL »

uwestoehr wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 11:53 pm You are the author, therefore I wonder. However, I would prefer to update it for FC 0.20. Can you do this?
What I like with the tutorial is that it explains the concept o f mesh regions.
I wrote this when I first started with FC on v0.17. It also depends on an external macro for selection of internal regions. Anyway, I will give it a try to see if it still works on v0.20, but if it doesn’t I don’t think it is worth investigating the reason. Hence my comment about deleting it.
uwestoehr wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 11:53 pm Can you please start a new forum thread for this issue and CC me there?
Yes I will do that and will also try to fix it. It is the same routine that needs further attention for calculation of principal stress directions.
fandaL

Post by fandaL »

I have just updated initial cantilever example https://wiki.freecadweb.org/FEM_CalculiX_Cantilever_3D

Purge command does not work on the Result object which is saved in this example. One need to delete it and recalculate it to be able to use Purge feature.
Klemmkeil

Post by Klemmkeil »

I would like to help.
A little Introduction or specification would be helpful e.g. hyperlink ....