Mesh improvement

About the development of the FEM module/workbench.

Moderator: bernd

francescoclementi78

Mesh improvement

Post by francescoclementi78 »

Hello, I am a new user, with 19.3 version .
My question is the following:
when creating a mesh for FEM, I always have errors related to jacobians ..so i was trying to improve the mesh by exporting the FEM mesh to mesh design workbench. There can be improved, removing errors...but how can be then back inserted in the fem module, to be used for calculations?

More in general, for quite complex geometries, like a refrigerator drawer, are you meshing inside Freecad or you import mesh from other tools?

Thanks a lot
Francesco Clementi
wmayer
Founder

Re: Mesh improvement

Post by wmayer »

but how can be then back inserted in the fem module, to be used for calculations?
Unfortunately the library we use for FE meshes can only export to the STL format but can't read it in. So as workaround you can use gmsh. It allows to read in the fixed STL file and then export it as e.g. unv.
More in general, for quite complex geometries, like a refrigerator drawer, are you meshing inside Freecad or you import mesh from other tools?
We have implemented both methods. Our integrated mesher is based on SMESH + Netgen but because Netgen doesn't work on all systems we have implemented a way to use gmsh for meshing, too.
francescoclementi78

Post by francescoclementi78 »

Working!!!
Thanks a lot
Francesco
user1234
Veteran

Post by user1234 »

francescoclementi78 wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 9:48 am Working!!!
For you info, since someone had a similar issue:

https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 07#p588632

Greetings
user1234