FreeCAD full crash on mesh generation (OS X Mojave)

About the development of the FEM module/workbench.

Moderator: bernd

looo
Veteran

Re: FreeCAD full crash on mesh generation (OS X Mojave)

Post by looo »

Its compiled against netgen like the appimage. The netgen stuff worked some time ago and still does for linux. Maybe the smesh update introduced the troubles... But I can't work on this currently ... Please someone else! Mac guys come on! I am not a developer too and not a mac guy. So please use your fresh minds and find a solution yourself (sry). Learn conda, try different versions. Prove that smesh7.4 is the problem. Try simple stuff like meshing a cube. There are so many easy things you can do to help but all feedback i always see: this and that is not working and the gui is ugly. Don't be shy and make your hands dirty.

*** End of rant
clif

Post by clif »

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.18.16146 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: (HEAD detached at 0.18.4)
Hash: 980bf9060e28555fecd9e3462f68ca74007b70f8
Python version: 3.6.7
Qt version: 5.6.2
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.3.0
Locale: English/UnitedStates (en_US)

I just ran into the same problem. Create mesh from shape crashes only on NetGen but not the other 2 methods. I did get NetGen to work before I added the 2 filets shown in the picture. Filet 1 is inside the channel and filet 2 is on the external opening. Hope this helps.
Attachments
top_view.png
top_view.png (449.34 KiB) Viewed 1041 times
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Please retry with a most recent 0.19. As of today it is 0.19.19541. If the crash persists, upload a preferably simple file and a detailed step by step description how to reproduce.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
steve123

Post by steve123 »

Apologies, I should have mentioned that my goal was to generate a mesh to export as a STL for 3D printing.
steve123

Post by steve123 »

I will try the recent build and if that doesn't fix the problem, I'll put a model together to reproduce the problem.
looo
Veteran

Post by looo »

meshing in general works on osx. I tested to mesh a gear: 2d standart, mefisto, netgen 3D gmsh, netgen . No problems here.

If this crashes with 0.19 please post the file. We do not have many testers for the mesh module. Also netgen developers do not care about freecad and actually, we are using a copied implementation from salome to interface netgen (salome-smesh).

Code: Select all

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Version: 0.19.19566 (Git)
Branch: master
Hash: 9960b673997a926c101b8b61a65e8d3796664c01
Python version: 3.8.1
Qt version: 5.12.5
Coin version: 4.0.0
OCC version: 7.4.0
Locale: German/Germany (de_DE)
Edit: gmsh most likely is currently broken for the dmg. Somehow the newest package is empty:
https://github.com/conda-forge/gmsh-feedstock/issues/27

Feel free to help solving this issue:
https://dev.azure.com/conda-forge/feeds ... de06&l=771
Toutanfil

Post by Toutanfil »

Hello,

Firstly, sorry for my english.

Secondly, I'm used to use FEM during my internship.
These are my observations:
-For mesh a system with more than 1 body, you have to "fuse" it (Part -> Part-fuse) BUT often Mesh OR CalculIx don't run
Only solution I found : make all bodies in the same body (create all sketchs in the same body).
-Netgen is more accurate than Gmesh but it's slower and it can't mesh big system/assembly
-Gmesh is faster than Netgen but it is very sensitive to boundaries conditions
=> weird example: if you have an assembly with 2 bodies which have 2 allied sides : impossible to mesh (non positive jacobian ...)
-Sometimes, curved angles are impossible to mesh/solve => replace them by right angles.

And yes now, freecad crashes du to my complex assembly despite my solutions : dont know why but probably du to boundaries conditions ...

Have fun with FEM 8-)

Version: 0.20.29177 (Git)
Branch: releases/FreeCAD-0-20
Hash: 68e337670e227889217652ddac593c93b5e8dc94
Python 3.8.10, Qt 5.15.2, Coin 4.0.1, Vtk 8.2.0, OCC 7.6.2
Locale: French/Belgium (fr_BE)
Installed mods:
* A2plus 0.4.56a
* Assembly3 0.11.3
* Assembly4 0.11.12
* fasteners 0.3.40
* Manipulator 1.4.9
* MOOC 2022.4.21
Jee-Bee
Veteran

Post by Jee-Bee »

Toutanfil wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 8:22 am -For mesh a system with more than 1 body, you have to "fuse" it (Part -> Part-fuse) BUT often Mesh OR CalculIx don't run
Only solution I found : make all bodies in the same body (create all sketchs in the same body).
Pity enough is the use of Part WB required after PD. It shouldn't make a difference if you create different bodies or one single on.
Only thing i would replace the fuse for a compount.
Toutanfil wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 8:22 am -Netgen is more accurate than Gmesh but it's slower and it can't mesh big system/assembly
-Gmesh is faster than Netgen but it is very sensitive to boundaries conditions
Boundary conditions shouldn't make a difference between GMSH and Netgen. Only thing is that GMSH can give more control on the final mesh. I believe it as the amount of contol also give more non positive Jacobian values...
Toutanfil wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 8:22 am => weird example: if you have an assembly with 2 bodies which have 2 allied sides : impossible to mesh (non positive jacobian ...)
-Sometimes, curved angles are impossible to mesh/solve => replace them by right angles.
Can you give an example. I'm quite sure it should fail too with at least one of those two objects as well.

Generally spoken. Remove as much detail as possible(small radii, small holes, etc) How cleaner the objects how better the mesh and thus more change Calculix don't give an error