PR 6359: Add a user interface for managing pref packs

Post here if you have re-based and finalised code to integrate into master, which was discussed, agreed to and tested in other forums. You can also submit your PR directly on github.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
chennes
Veteran

PR 6359: Add a user interface for managing pref packs

Post by chennes »

https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/pull/6359

Until now, the "Manage..." button under the preference packs region of the General Preferences window was a stub, simply opening a file browser to the location of saved preference packs. This new PR adds a more useful interface for managing preference packs. It provides three main features:
  1. The ability to delete individual user-saved preference packs
  2. The ability to hide and unhide built-in packs, as well as those that are part of an Addon (Addons may contain multiple packs, this allows selectively hiding only some of them, without uninstalling the whole Addon)
  3. A shortcut to launch the Addon Manager with Preference Packs showing, so that they may be uninstalled, or more may be obtained
Screenshot 2022-02-13 193730.png
Screenshot 2022-02-13 193730.png (69.14 KiB) Viewed 5524 times
Screenshot 2022-02-13 193831.png
Screenshot 2022-02-13 193831.png (13.45 KiB) Viewed 5524 times
Chris Hennes
Pioneer Library System
GitHub profile, LinkedIn profile, chrishennes.com
Kunda1
Veteran

Re: PR 6359: Add a user interface for managing pref packs

Post by Kunda1 »

Looks so awesome! Thank you!
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
C4e

Post by C4e »

chennes wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 1:40 am Ping with ease
I have to intervene. Looks great, but have some (known) issues. Did I miss another thread? When, please point me there or move my entry.

Code: Select all

Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.20.27936 (Git)
Build type: Release
Python 3.9.10, Qt 5.12.9, Coin 4.0.0, OCC 7.5.3
Locale: C/Default (C)
Installed mods: 
  * Trails 2022.1.0
  * ThreadProfile 1.81.0
  * Reporting
  * Behave-Dark-Colors 0.0.1
  * dodo
  * Plot
  * parts_library
  * fcgear 1.0.0
  * workfeature
  * fasteners 0.3.38
  * 3D_Printing_Tools
  * Assembly4 0.11.10
It is not working here (plain vanilla config). The window always stay on top of all windows (I mean this was discussed somewhere and maybe fixed) and it doesn't open the Add on manager on click. I just wanted to deinstall a theme.
Attachments
manage-preference-packs-2.png
manage-preference-packs-2.png (76.28 KiB) Viewed 5311 times
manage-preference-packs-1.png
manage-preference-packs-1.png (69.81 KiB) Viewed 5311 times
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

I can confirm only partially:
- Here the window doesn't stay on top of all other windows. It stays correctly on top of the FreeCAD window, but can fall behind the Preferences window.

- The button is indeed inactive or at least seems to be. Clicking on it or changing the application and back to FreeCAD activates it.
- Using my personal config, the button is active immediately when the popup opens.

Python 3.9.10, Qt 5.12.9, Coin 4.0.0, OCC 7.5.3
Installed mods: 
  * FC_SU
  * DynamicData 2.45.0
  * FeedsAndSpeeds-master
  * fcgear
  * A2plus 0.4.54b
  * fasteners
  * sheetmetal
  * ExplodedAssembly
  * Curves 0.3.0
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
GeneFC
Veteran

Post by GeneFC »

C4e wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 5:30 am I have to intervene. Looks great, but have some (known) issues. Did I miss another thread? When, please point me there or move my entry.

I believe the fix occurred after that version. If possible, try something greater than 28000.

Gene
chennes
Veteran

Post by chennes »

I can't reproduce in

Version: 0.20.28396 (Git)
Branch: master
Hash: ef4274007aa25cfd973e42c1ac0a0481efe4e4d2
Python 3.9.1, Qt 5.15.2, Coin 4.0.0, OCC 7.5.0
Note that the Manage Preference Packs window is not modal: I went back and forth on that and decided to try non-modal for a while and see what the reaction was. That means that it can be open, but not the active window (and should be able to go behind other windows). In the screenshot above it looks like that is the case.

I don't have a 10.16 system I can test on, unfortunately.
Chris Hennes
Pioneer Library System
C4e

Post by C4e »

Hello Chris

I currently do not have a newer build than the one shown above. At the moment a self compiled version is to far from my time budget. I'm not as familiar as needed to do it easily on the compiling process on macOS. Maybe in the future, but maybe not.
chennes wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 3:20 pm Note that the Manage Preference Packs window is not modal: I went back and forth on that and decided to try non-modal for a while and see what the reaction was. That means that it can be open, but not the active window (and should be able to go behind other windows). In the screenshot above it looks like that is the case.

I don't have a 10.16 system I can test on, unfortunately.
I can follow you with your decision about modality. The question for me, why should this be necessary? When writing this, the window is in front of the browser, and if moved, the FreeCAD window comes to front and the Firefox window is behind.

By the way, I opened the Python console to see what is happening there and now! the 'Welcome to the Add on Manager' window is shown, or maybe it was shown earlier and was hided behind the FreeCAD main window without beingt noticed as a separate window in the dock or somewhere else. So I was not able to see it.

It is not the nearest solution to move around the FreeCAD main window and try to find some hidden windows behind it.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

I have macOS Monterey 12.2 and I don't see this behaviour with AddonManager PreferencesPack dialog. If the AddonManager PreferencesPack dialog is open, I can click anywhere in the main FreeCAD window and the AddonManager dialog stays always on top.

Sidenote: I know the behaviour you describe from the generic dialog popping up, if you e.g. change the Support property of a ShapeBinder.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
C4e

Post by C4e »

I'll give Montery an update to 12.3 and look further.

I do not hope that your patience with my feedback is depleted?
chennes
Veteran

Post by chennes »

chrisb wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 5:07 pm I have macOS Monterey 12.2 and I don't see this behaviour with AddonManager.
I don't believe it's the Addon Manager the OP is talking about, it's the "Manage Preference Packs" dialog. Or am I misunderstanding the issue? The Addon Manager did have the described issue on OS X a few weeks ago, but I've since resolved it.
Chris Hennes
Pioneer Library System