[merged] PR #5357 - add feature to create tapered Pads / Pockets

Post here if you have re-based and finalised code to integrate into master, which was discussed, agreed to and tested in other forums. You can also submit your PR directly on github.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
uwestoehr
Veteran

Re: PR #5357 - add feature to create tapered Pads / Pockets

Post by uwestoehr »

The PR was merged.

@davidosterberg, by changing the code in https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/blob ... Helper.cpp you can try out your solution. It will affect Part and PartDesign.
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Re: PR #5357 - add feature to create tapered Pads / Pockets

Post by adrianinsaval »

uwestoehr wrote:
Hello uwe, please look at this example, the same sketch (copy pasted) can be extruded with taper without issues in Part but not in Part Design, even without taper, I think the sketch validation is still usign whatever rules applied to the old pad algorithm but your new algorithm can actually handle this kind of nested shapes.

Oh and let's not forget that the error message is absolutely useless:

Code: Select all

14:38:05  Recompute failed! Please check report view.
When you attempt to create the pad from the sketch you receive a more useful message:
Failed to validate broken face
in a popup but once the pad is already created and you change the sketch to have a shape like this you only get that shitty message in report view, nothing about the face.
Attachments
extrudeExample.zip.fcstd
(82.53 KiB) Downloaded 100 times
Shalmeneser
Veteran

Re: [merged] PR #5357 - add feature to create tapered Pads / Pockets

Post by Shalmeneser »

In PartDesign, you cannot draw a line inside a line inside a line.
-alex-
Veteran

Re: project: Making Part Extrude taking care of inner structure

Post by -alex- »

davidosterberg wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 7:26 pm
uwestoehr wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 12:19 pm We discussed this already. @davidosterberg has an idea to avoid this in many cases.
Will work on this in 1-2 weeks when I get my brand new laptop. Unfortunately my 1.5 year old son managed to smash my old development laptop when playing :roll:
Hi, hope you and your familly are fine. It seems you're offline since a while. May I ask you if you made some progress in order to get linear elements on ruled shapes (ruled, loft, sweep, tapered) when input edges are coplanar?
Thanks for your kind attention.