PR #4752 Topological Naming

Post here if you have re-based and finalised code to integrate into master, which was discussed, agreed to and tested in other forums. You can also submit your PR directly on github.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Re: PR #4752 Topological Naming

Post by adrianinsaval »

May you point me to the rules that force the maintainers to repeatedly give a response to the same question every time different person asks it? but still, here it is: https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/pull ... -963381788 from one of the people with merge access to the repo.
I now I see you commenting in a very unpolite way there and so I have to wonder, are you just trolling?
wsteffe

Post by wsteffe »

No I not trolling. I was just disappointed of all these arguments against the merging of a code which, in my opinion, was addressing and solving an important problem. But reading again my posts I may recognize that sometime i have been a little bit unpolite. I apologize for that. I have also forgotten the content of those post claiming the need for a deep review of RT code.
Probably it is because I do not agree on this need. But it is anyway a reply to the question about what is hindering…
jhaand

Post by jhaand »

Just to keep a bit of focus on this subject. FOSDEM happened 3 weeks ago and I get the feeling not much happened after that. Except talking about that we need to do something.

Do we currently have a plan and timeline for integrating the TPN feature into the mainline?
If one exist, where can I find it and the discussion about it?
If a plan still remains in development, where is this discussed about it?
Who currently maintains and tracks the plan for the integration of solution for TPN?

Or is the discussion happening here and do we just go about in circles?

My proposal/idea:
  • Wait for the release of 0.20 for integrating and focus with 0.21 on the solution for Topological Naming Problem.
  • The current code in the PR in Github needs about 16 hours (i think) of review by a dev. Preferably after a rebase to the 0.21 branch
  • This might coincide with getting a distributed build and test environment going, so users and devs can test more easily.
obelisk79
Veteran

Post by obelisk79 »

jhaand wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 9:35 am Just to keep a bit of focus on this subject. FOSDEM happened 3 weeks ago and I get the feeling not much happened after that. Except talking about that we need to do something.
If you read this post here: https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=66407

You will see that they plan to make a formal announcement regarding the future of the TNP (Topological Naming Problem). According to this statement:
FreeCAD 0.20 will purposely not have the toponaming PRs in. We (including realthunder) have setup a way how to incorporate these PRs to FreeCAD for the next major release after FreeCAD 0.20. There will be a further announcement about toponaming before the release of FreeCAD 0.20.
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

obelisk79 wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 11:57 am If you read this post here: https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=66407
Thanks @obelisk79 I've been meaning to post that in this thread but kept getting side-tracked.
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
jhaand

Post by jhaand »

obelisk79 wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 11:57 am
jhaand wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 9:35 am Just to keep a bit of focus on this subject. FOSDEM happened 3 weeks ago and I get the feeling not much happened after that. Except talking about that we need to do something.
If you read this post here: https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=66407

You will see that they plan to make a formal announcement regarding the future of the TNP (Topological Naming Problem). According to this statement:
FreeCAD 0.20 will purposely not have the toponaming PRs in. We (including realthunder) have setup a way how to incorporate these PRs to FreeCAD for the next major release after FreeCAD 0.20. There will be a further announcement about toponaming before the release of FreeCAD 0.20.
Thank you for mentioning the announcement in this thread.
That provides a reference the current state of affairs and we'll see.

I also got sidetracked the last couple of days.