PR #2723: Plain/Geo group behavior change and related 3D visualization/selection enhancement

Post here if you have re-based and finalised code to integrate into master, which was discussed, agreed to and tested in other forums. You can also submit your PR directly on github.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
realthunder
Veteran

Re: PR #2723: Plain/Geo group behavior change and related 3D visualization/selection enhancement

Post by realthunder »

easyw-fc wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 6:38 pm May I ask you if you could have a look at this ticket:
https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 10#p327445
to add import and export LCS within STP files?
Yes, I have. The STEP Axis information is part of the GD&T section. I did some research on how various other CAD handles this. I think FC is almost a blank in this area at the moment. Someone did a GD&T workbench some while ago based on Draft dimension, but was abandoned. And based on the look of the code, I decided not to continue the work. Instead, I plan to add basic GD&T support directly in Part workbench, maybe based on the existing Part measurement, to make them editable object and so on. But that is likely going to wait till the next release.
Try Assembly3 with my custom build of FreeCAD at here.
And if you'd like to show your support, you can donate through patreon, liberapay, or paypal
easyw-fc
Veteran

Re: PR #2723: Plain/Geo group behavior change and related 3D visualization/selection enhancement

Post by easyw-fc »

realthunder wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 10:38 pm Yes, I have. The STEP Axis information is part of the GD&T section. I did some research on how various other CAD handles this. I think FC is almost a blank in this area at the moment. Someone did a GD&T workbench some while ago based on Draft dimension, but was abandoned. And based on the look of the code, I decided not to continue the work. Instead, I plan to add basic GD&T support directly in Part workbench, maybe based on the existing Part measurement, to make them editable object and so on. But that is likely going to wait till the next release.
That is fine then.
I was thinking to add the LCS support as a first feature, but I can understand you would prefer to implement all GD&T in one go, having a better overview of the all problem.

Thanks a lot for your improvements in STEP import/export code... Links are just great when assembling a PCB from KiCAD to FreeCAD! The file size of STEP is getting optimized too.

Looking forward to see your branch merged!
:D
Maurice