Pull Request HowTo

Post here if you have re-based and finalised code to integrate into master, which was discussed, agreed to and tested in other forums. You can also submit your PR directly on github.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
kkremitzki
Veteran

Re: Pull Request HowTo

Post by kkremitzki »

CADennis wrote:c'mon, that's not complicated! That's just two guys writing down the C Major scale :D :D
Maybe your mobile browser didn't render the monospaced font nicely?
I understood your example, there was no problem with e.g. the monospaced font rendering. My point was: I understand that there is a problem in the scenario you have constructed. Where is the problem with FreeCAD development that necessitates constructing your example in the first place? What specific problem spurred your investigation? Why not focus on that problem in particular instead of your constructed example? It seems like you're trying to solve for some general case instead of the specific case first, but if you consider all the things people can do to break the directed acyclic graph underlying git, you're going to have an extremely over-engineered fix.
Like my FreeCAD work? I'd appreciate any level of support via Patreon, Liberapay, or PayPal! Read more about what I do at my blog.
CADennis

Post by CADennis »

Thank you for the nice feedback, yorik and kkremitzki. Here are some snippets to hint at the direction how static scans could identify the regressive code jitter. I read your suggestions. And I take them serious. My plan is to avoid déjàvues at manual PR reviews and of course to allow that "master_auto_proposed" automation to no longer break Python3 support.

Code: Select all

git log --graph --all --oneline
* 7d76d70 bc - with love from USA
* 6d6ac96 ah - with love from Germany
* c0c85d1 fga - with love from USA
* 0042ad9 efg - with love from Germany
* 920e32f de - with love from USA
* 0bc90d3 hcd - with love from Germany
* 12b4545 bc - with love from USA
* 7b10573 ga - with love from Germany
* 3b3206d cdef - with love from USA
* 827cff2 let's make music

user@machine:~/temp/torwaltz/torwaltz_git$ git diff HEAD~3..HEAD~2
diff --git a/song.txt b/song.txt
index 01d7d36..c1475c5 100644
--- a/song.txt
+++ b/song.txt
@@ -1,5 +1,5 @@
cdef
ga
-bc
-de
+hcd
+efg

user@machine:~/temp/torwaltz/torwaltz_git$ git diff HEAD~1..HEAD
diff --git a/song.txt b/song.txt
index 40e03f8..adffed2 100644
--- a/song.txt
+++ b/song.txt
@@ -1,6 +1,6 @@
cdef
ga
-bc
-de
-fga
+hcd
+efg
+ah

Peace.
matthijskooijman

Post by matthijskooijman »

yorik wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:23 pm I think there is no need anymore to post here when doing a pull request on github, unless you think there will/should be some discussion about it. Werner and me patrol the github repo often enough now...
It took me a while to figure out what the process for submitting PRs is, apparently the above quote is the latest info I could find, so I'm going to assume that this is the latest policy? I'm not entirely sure what that policy is though - just create a PR for simple changes, but when should a topic be made? Before creating the PR (and if so, should it be here or elsewhere)? Or after the PR is created (but can't discussion about PRs happen on github just as easy)?

In any case, maybe existing places with different policies should be updated? Here's the places I've seen so far:
  • The first post of this thread.
  • The description for the "Pull requests" subforum says "Post here if you have re-based and finalised code to integrate into master, which was discussed, agreed to and tested in other forums. You can also submit your PR directly on github", implying that all pullrequests must be discussed elsewhere first, and then *again* in this subforum.
  • https://wiki.freecadweb.org/Tracker#Submitting_patches
  • https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/blob ... EMPLATE.md
  • The README.md file in git does *not* have info, but I did look for it there, so might be worth maybe adding a link to the wiki there.
I can imagine that the wiki is a good place for the canonical policy, with other places linking to it?