App::Link: the big merge

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
abdullah
Veteran

Re: App::Link: the big merge

Post by abdullah »

There is indeed a lot of work in here.

I am mobile, but I have been able to browse through part of the code. I have seen several things I have liked a lot, such as relying on templates for the property lists, or having a touched boolean property flag for groupextensions.

There are some modifications in App that will require some time to fully understand what is going on (and a proper screen).

I was not extremely enthusiastic to see extensive substitution of command instructions with the macro "FCMD_OBJ_CMD2". I read it like "freecad_command_object_command_two". I am by no means against reducing the typing and the footprint using a macro. It is probably that I do not get the name and thus the original command was clearer to me when reading the code despite its length. In any case, this is a non-issue probably falling within the realm of "matter of taste". Probably others will have differing opinions ;)

I will try to take a deeper look when I have a real screen.

Thanks for taking the time to prepare this PR. :)
sgrogan
Veteran

Post by sgrogan »

abdullah wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 1:34 pm Thanks for taking the time to prepare this PR. :)
+1
Would it help with testing if we provided binaries for testing on the FreeCAD release page on GitHub?
We could make a pre-release called big merge or something and post the binaries there?
"fight the good fight"
Jee-Bee
Veteran

Post by Jee-Bee »

If it isn't a to difficult task i would say yes
C_h_o_p_i_n

Post by C_h_o_p_i_n »

Hi,

in my humble opinion - this would help a lot to have the changes beeing tested by a broader community.

Regards,
Stefan
kkremitzki
Veteran

Post by kkremitzki »

I think I will create a freecad-staging PPA and provide a build there, it would be useful in general for these sorts of things where a daily PPA falls short. But the builds there should be considered temporary and infrequently in use. Additionally for ease of maintenance I was thinking of only providing an Ubuntu 18.04 package, or in general, latest Ubuntu LTS.
Like my FreeCAD work? I'd appreciate any level of support via Patreon, Liberapay, or PayPal! Read more about what I do at my blog.
wmayer
Founder

Post by wmayer »

sgrogan wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:51 pm
abdullah wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 1:34 pm Thanks for taking the time to prepare this PR. :)
+1
Would it help with testing if we provided binaries for testing on the FreeCAD release page on GitHub?
We could make a pre-release called big merge or something and post the binaries there?
That would be good so that people may detect potential errors. I am still busy reviewing the code and it will take me a week (or more) to finish it.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

I would approach this from the other side: After a big merge we keep the last version from before the merge for some time as a fallback.
0.19 is a development version and we would have the broadest test community at hand.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Jee-Bee
Veteran

Post by Jee-Bee »

oke i think now this is +1 and the not merged version but still compiled version is +0.6
sgrogan
Veteran

Post by sgrogan »

wmayer wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:12 am That would be good so that people may detect potential errors. I am still busy reviewing the code and it will take me a week (or more) to finish it.
OK
realthunders branch compiles without issues, and self-tests passed without error. I used apeltauer's Libpack.
I'm building now with release pdb's, I will create a pre-release using kkremitzki suggestion of FreeCAD-staging.
chrisb wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:22 am I would approach this from the other side: After a big merge we keep the last version from before the merge for some time as a fallback.
Agreed here as well. When we did PDN we kept a "last stable-development build" until everything settled down. On win this is easy for me, if someone can ping me before the merge I will grab the .AppImage and .dmg releases to archive. The current build process will prune these with the merge, so we need to grab them before this happens.
"fight the good fight"
bernd
Veteran

Post by bernd »

sgrogan wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:16 pm
chrisb wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:22 am ... After a big merge we keep the last version from before the merge for some time as a fallback.
Agreed here as well. When we did PDN we kept a "last stable-development build" until everything settled down. On win this is easy for me, if someone can ping me before the merge I will grab the .AppImage and .dmg releases to archive. The current build process will prune these with the merge, so we need to grab them before this happens.
+1 from my side. In FEM I advise people to use 0.19 all the time. Since we did not have any big merge so far it runs very smooth :-)