Path for Turret style mill ( Z axis orientation)

Here's the place for discussion related to CAM/CNC and the development of the Path module.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
GuitarGlasses

Path for Turret style mill ( Z axis orientation)

Post by GuitarGlasses »

I recently bought an old retrofit CNC mill that runs on mach 3.
Is there a way to change the path generator to move the model/body instead of the spindle.
I have a turret style CNC Mill where the table moves the X and Z axis ( left,right,up and down) and the spindle moves the Y axis ( forward and backwards) .
I used FreeCad to create the models and I wondered if there is a way to create G-Code for this type of CNC Mill.

Thanks for the help in advance .
GuitarGlasses

Re: Path for Turret style mill ( Z axis orientation)

Post by GuitarGlasses »

More details. I bought an Maho 500w that runs on Mach 3. It has new ball screws, new motors and everything works when I move the machine manually or via mach 3. But I can't figure out how to make gcode files for custom parts that. I made simple parts and i made tool paths for it in FreeCad. But FreeCad moves the spindle and not the table witch leads to the part going in the wrong direction of the Z axis. Is there a way to go around that or I need to look elsewhere to make Gcode files for this to work ?
GeneFC
Veteran

Post by GeneFC »

GuitarGlasses wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 1:52 pm
You will need to map out the exact coordinate motions, but it may be as simple as rotating the model to the necessary orientation.

FreeCAD is based on a right-hand-rule XYZ coordinate system. If your mill follows some sort of similar rule it should be possible to adapt.

Worst case might be a change of coordinates in the post processor. Such as X becomes Y, Y becomes Z, etc.

If you show the exact model of X, Y, and Z orientation along with plus-minus directions a more definitive answer might be possible.

Gene
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Have a look at the philips_post.py. Search for SWAP_G2_G3 and SWAP_Y_Z and how they swap the axes.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
sliptonic
Veteran

Post by sliptonic »

Motion is relative. What's actually moving depends on where you're sitting.

Generally in CAM/CNC All motion is described as moving the spindle/tool. The kinematics of the machine may (usually do) translate that to moving the table/part.

On my machine, the spindle moves only vertically on the Z axis. The XY are table moves. Same thing with 4th and 5th axis. But for visualization/gcode, it's always the tool that moves. Keeps things simpler.