Question regarding post processors in Path

Here's the place for discussion related to CAM/CNC and the development of the Path module.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
hman

Question regarding post processors in Path

Post by hman »

Hello!
I'm planning to use Freecad to generate tool paths for my CNC milling machine. I've just learned about the existance of the "Path" workbench and hope to use it.

My question is about post processors. My CNC rig uses a Centroid Acorn controller. Is Centroid among the post processors available in the Path workbench?

Also, can anybody recommend a tutorial book that includes Path? I have a couple of tutorial books, and though Path is (incidentally) mentioned in one of them, absolutely no information is given about it. I'm one of those odd people who finds it difficult to learn from videos ( a couple of whichare available on Youtube), so a book would be very valuable to me.

Thanks!!
- hman
Kunda1
Veteran

Re: Question regarding post processors in Path

Post by Kunda1 »

Mod edit: moved to Path subforum
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
LarryWoestman

Post by LarryWoestman »

Yes, there is a Centroid postprocessor available. It isn't a book, but there is a fair amount of information about Path in the wiki: https://wiki.freecadweb.org/Path_Workbench
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

There is a centroid postprocessor, which you may try.

Brad Collette's "FreeCAD for Inventors" has a chapter about Path workbench. It was written for 0.17, with 0.18 already coming up, and thus giving some hints for the newer version as well. The concepts of Path workbench remained, only the tools concept has changed.

In the wiki you may want to have a look at the Path Walkthrough for the Impatient (which is a bit outdated as well).
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
hman

Post by hman »

I went looking for "Freecad for inventors," and all I could find was a Kindle version, which turns out to be too large a file for my Ipag. Does ANYBODY know of a printedversion?

Thanks!
- John
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

CC @sliptonic
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs