Thinking about default settings

Here's the place for discussion related to CAM/CNC and the development of the Path module.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
pathfinder

Thinking about default settings

Post by pathfinder »

Hello,

after using the Path workbench for a while, I'd like to share some of my thoughts, particularly in regards to Feeds/speeds, machine settings and so on.

I personally cut around 3 different materials on a regular basis and use, with some exceptions, maybe four different toolbits. I have my one machine and after using it for a while, I've dialed in what feeds/speeds and width/depth of cut are good with what tool on what material for my specific machine. On top of that, there's a number of operations that I do all the time and that have the same parameters every time; stuff like facing, profiling, surface operations and so on.

It would be nice if there was an option to load predetermined settings from somewhere, instead of entering the values I need every time.

For feed rates, using templates works well enough, but for things like width/depth of cut, it obviously doesn't.

Is there an option to save operation parameters somewhere?

TIA
sliptonic
Veteran

Re: Thinking about default settings

Post by sliptonic »

pathfinder wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 7:15 am
It would be nice if there was an option to load predetermined settings from somewhere, instead of entering the values I need every time.
Job Templates are your friend. For your purposes, though, you need to go one step further. Edit the setupsheet. Then save the setupsheet with the template.

The setup sheet sets the defaults for virtually everything in the operations. You can hard-code values or change the expression used to calculate defaults.
pathfinder

Post by pathfinder »

sliptonic wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 2:43 pm
pathfinder wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 7:15 am
Job Templates are your friend. For your purposes, though, you need to go one step further. Edit the setupsheet. Then save the setupsheet with the template.

The setup sheet sets the defaults for virtually everything in the operations. You can hard-code values or change the expression used to calculate defaults.
I tried to find out where the setupsheet is located or how to create one, but I couldn't find it and the wiki entry isn't particularly helpful either. Do you have any resources? I use the Linux Appimage, if that is important.

Also, is it possible to have multiple setupsheets (i.e. for different materials) and load the one needed?
sliptonic
Veteran

Post by sliptonic »

pathfinder wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 7:07 pm
I tried to find out where the setupsheet is located or how to create one, but I couldn't find it and the wiki entry isn't particularly helpful either. Do you have any resources? I use the Linux Appimage, if that is important.

Also, is it possible to have multiple setupsheets (i.e. for different materials) and load the one needed?
Sorry, the documenation leaves a little (lot) to be desired. Perhaps as you learn about this, you'd be kind enough to update the wiki. :D

The setup sheet is created inside the job. There's a node for it. You can edit some of the global properties right here in the property pane. If you double-click it, it will open up an editor but DON'T DO THAT. The editor is mostly useless. Instead, Open up the job editor (second image below) and switch to Op Defaults Tab. Here you can choose the op in the dropdown, Then configure any defaults you want by enabling them and setting the values.
When you export your job template, just choose to include the setup sheet as well. (Note: There's something wrong with the themepack I'm running which is why you can't see the property names in the image below. They do appear in other themes)
2022-08-02_18-56.png
2022-08-02_18-56.png (105.82 KiB) Viewed 628 times

2022-08-02_18-58.png
2022-08-02_18-58.png (50.17 KiB) Viewed 628 times
pathfinder

Post by pathfinder »

sliptonic wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 12:01 am
pathfinder wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 7:07 pm

Sorry, the documenation leaves a little (lot) to be desired. Perhaps as you learn about this, you'd be kind enough to update the wiki. :D

The setup sheet is created inside the job. There's a node for it. You can edit some of the global properties right here in the property pane. If you double-click it, it will open up an editor but DON'T DO THAT. The editor is mostly useless. Instead, Open up the job editor (second image below) and switch to Op Defaults Tab. Here you can choose the op in the dropdown, Then configure any defaults you want by enabling them and setting the values.
When you export your job template, just choose to include the setup sheet as well. (Note: There's something wrong with the themepack I'm running which is why you can't see the property names in the image below. They do appear in other themes)
Thanks, this is helpful.

As a way down the line feature request, it would be nice to have this more accessible (maybe as a dropdown in the Operations task window) and maybe even shareable. Given that there are some popular hobbyist models out there (e.g. Shapeoko), giving users the option to share presets might be interesting as a way to enhance accessibility to hobby level CNC in general.