GUI problem while creating Path Job object

Here's the place for discussion related to CAM/CNC and the development of the Path module.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
MatejSpindler

GUI problem while creating Path Job object

Post by MatejSpindler »

I think there is a bug or at least a possible improvement in UX when creating or editing Path objects.

When creating or editing a Path Job object in the "Job edit" dialog if a user clicks on the "Add to Job" button in the Tool selector, the tool is added to the job object but the change is not visible on the Tools tab in the Job edit dialog.

My naive guess at the solution is when clicking the button "Add to Job" or double clicking on the tool in Tool Selector, FreeCAD should check if the Edit Job panel is opened and if so update the Tools tab in the "Job edit" dialog.

Screenshot 2022-07-19 074449_1.png
Screenshot 2022-07-19 074449_1.png (117.92 KiB) Viewed 694 times
sliptonic
Veteran

Re: GUI problem while creating Path Job object

Post by sliptonic »

This a little rough and can be improved. If someone wants to work on it, I'll entertain any pull request.

Some historical context:
Some people want to organize their toolbits into collections or 'libraries' These sets might correspond to the tools in a machine or tools from a manufacturer or some other 'set'. For them, the tool dock and library manager was built. This is the way I work. I never have the job dialog open when I'm adding tool controllers.

Other people manage their toolbits from discrete files. They store them in a directory, perhaps on a server. For them, the tool tab in the Job has the 'add' button that opens the file browser to let you pick a toolbit from the disk and creates the tool controller.

We have lots of flexibility but that means corner cases and odd workflows like you show here.

Like I said, is someone can smooth this out, I'm all for it.
MRx

Re: GUI problem while creating Path Job object

Post by MRx »

When adding tools through the Toolbit dock it will add the tool without issuing a complete recomputation, I'd say this is an advantage.
However there's still the disadvantage that no Feedrate will be set when using the Toolbit dock, so you still have to either add it manually to the corresponding tool or go to the Job Menu and set the feedrate.