[SOLVED] How to select faces properly

Here's the place for discussion related to CAM/CNC and the development of the Path module.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!

[SOLVED] How to select faces properly

Post by 103131 »

Hi Everyone, :D
I use the latest version of the Freecad AppImage in Ubuntu 20-04.
Here are the elements:

Code: Select all

Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.21.29485 (Git) AppImage
Build type: Release
Branch: master
Hash: a236ca843fdd6674afb6d7ed1454fbd3b547f5ea
Python 3.10.5, Qt 5.12.9, Coin 4.0.0, Vtk 9.1.0, OCC 7.5.3
Locale: French/France (fr_FR)
Installed mods: 
  * Help 1.0.0-alpha
I created a simple cylinder in Blender that I imported and turned on a solid in FreeCad. When I go in path Workbench and I try to select the faces I want to realise in 3D-Surface work, if I well understood, I have two options for these faces selections:

- Either I do "control + Left click" and I select the faces one by one. In this case, I can then click on the "Add" button to add the faces I selected in "Base Geometry" tab. So then I can simulate the milling operation. This solution seems to be fastidious to me. Indeed in the current example, I have a simple cylinder. That permits to be easy to select the good faces. But this file is a test to learn to make sculptures which are more complicated in future. And there, the selection will prove to be tedious.

- Or I use the "Edit/Box Element selection (Shift + E)". But in this case, I can't add the selected faces by clicking on the "Add" button in the "Base Geometry" tab.

Did I miss something? Am I asking too much of Freecad (which would still surprise me a lot)? :shock:

My goal is to be able to sculpt small 3D shapes that I would have drawn in Blender. I'm having a hard time figuring out how to go about it right now. Maybe Freecad is not suitable at all. But I would be surprised. And even if I read the tutorials on the Freecad site, I can't do it any better. Maybe it's almost a question of training that I didn't have at the start. I don't know. Any comments on this would be welcome.

Thanking you in advance for your help.

Have a nice day and have a goog FreeCADing. :D
Attachments
220530_cylindre_001_04.FCStd
(68.32 KiB) Downloaded 9 times
Last edited by 103131 on Mon Jul 18, 2022 6:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
GeneFC
Veteran

Re: How to select faces properly

Post by GeneFC »

If you do not select anything, but instead press Apply or OK the Surface Operation will automatically select everything that makes sense.

Here is your example. I did nothing except click Apply.

Surface.JPG
Surface.JPG (69.3 KiB) Viewed 533 times

If you want a more complicated selection you will probably need to select individually.

Gene

Re: How to select faces properly

Post by 103131 »

Hi Everyone, :D

I just tried it and it actually works. I thought it was necessary to go through the "Add" button and did not at all think of clicking directly on "Apply". Like what, we do not always think of everything .... Far from it.

Thanks for your help.
Have a nice day and have a good FreeCADing. :D