STEP file not visible geometry in Path

Here's the place for discussion related to CAM/CNC and the development of the Path module.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Routerworks

STEP file not visible geometry in Path

Post by Routerworks »

I'm trying to develop my use of Freecad Path for cnc 3D milling. I have been doing a lot reading regarding file formats. To make a long story short, I have been concentrating on converting mesh files for milling. I'm pretty comfortable with milling shapes I designed in Freecad CAD. My understanding to date is that a Mesh has to be reduced to number of triangles in the neighborhood of 50,000. then converted to a solid making sure the geometry is closed. Then exported as a STEP file. Then brought back into Freecad by opening (not importing, takes forever).
When I do this the geometry is seen in "Setup" but when I choose "Surface 3D mill" it doesn't see it. Needless to say I have been over this at least a 100 times. By reducing the facets to 12,500 it made a big difference in getting the file to open up. However no luck in developing a too path.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Tried to attach it but still says the STEP file is too big.

Thanks
Routerworks

Re: STEP file not visible geometry in Path

Post by Routerworks »

Here are my system details:

Code: Select all

Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.20.29177 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: releases/FreeCAD-0-20
Hash: 68e337670e227889217652ddac593c93b5e8dc94
Python 3.8.10, Qt 5.15.2, Coin 4.0.1, Vtk 8.2.0, OCC 7.6.2
Locale: English/United States (en_US)
Installed mods: 
  * Assembly4
  * BOLTSFC
  * Curves 0.3.0
  * Estimate 0.1.2
  * ExplodedAssembly
  * fasteners
  * fcgear
  * kicadStepUpMod
  * lattice2
  * nurbs
  * pcb
  * POV-Ray-Rendering
  * python27_x64-ocl (1)
  * Render
  * sheetmetal
  * workfeature
  * workfeature-macro
jescombe

Post by jescombe »

Hi, doesn't exactly answer your question, but this is what I do when creating path jobs from (for instance) STL mesh files.. Might be something useful in there?

https://wiki.freecadweb.org/FreeCAD_and_Mesh_Import
Joyas

Post by Joyas »

I have the same problem, the STL files have been generated in Catia V5 (CGM) and cylinders have two halves (seams). If you want I can upload here a file.
Estudié ingeniería técnica industrial en España y sólo me ha servido para estar en el paro, no me contratan porque no tengo experiencia, y no tengo experiencia porque no me contratan. No debí estudiar esa carrera.