Error message :"Failed to map selected tool to an OCL tool type"

Here's the place for discussion related to CAM/CNC and the development of the Path module.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!

Error message :"Failed to map selected tool to an OCL tool type"

Post by 103131 »

Hi there, :D

I'm using the latest version of Freecad's AppImage under ubuntu 20-04.

I created a simple cylinder in Blender which I imported and turned into a solid in Freecad. When I go to the path workbench and want to create a 3D surface operation job on this solid, I get the message: "Failed to map selected tool to an OCL tool type.". Also, I created a tool that I think is suitable for the work that I want to do and that I seek to use for this operation.

I don't understand what's going on, so I looked for other similar cases. I found this address: "https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?t=48384". But I don't see a solution to this problem in this exchange.

I thought maybe it was due to the tool that I created incorrectly. But I tried with a tool already provided in Freecad and I have the same error message.

I also tried to do it on a cylinder directly created in Freecad, but I have the same error message too.

Could you please help me to find the solution to not have this error message anymore? ;)

Thanks for your help. Have a nice day. :D
sliptonic
Veteran

Re: Error message :"Failed to map selected tool to an OCL tool type"

Post by sliptonic »

You don't give us much to go on.

"latest version" isn't a thing. That's why we provide instructions and a tool to post your FreeCAD info

Path still allows for the use of legacy tools but you haven't told us if you're using legacy tools or the new Toolbit system.

This would be much easier if you'd attach a project file that shows what you've configured.

Post by 103131 »

Hi Everyone, :D

Sorry if I did not formulate my request well. I will try to do better this time. Here is already the information gathered in Help/About Freecad:

Code: Select all

Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.21.29485 (Git) AppImage
Build type: Release
Branch: master
Hash: a236ca843fdd6674afb6d7ed1454fbd3b547f5ea
Python 3.10.5, Qt 5.12.9, Coin 4.0.0, Vtk 9.1.0, OCC 7.5.3
Locale: French/France (fr_FR)
Installed mods: 
  * Help 1.0.0-alpha
I don't quite understand this comment. :|
Path still allows for the use of legacy tools but you haven't told us if you're using legacy tools or the new Toolbit system.
I clarified that I created a tool and it didn't work like I thought I had to wait. So I used a pre-existing tool in Freecad. But I still got the same error message.
Legacy tools are not the tools provided by default in Freecad? :roll:

I attach the relevant file.

Thanks a lot for your help. Have a nice day. :D
Attachments
220530_cylindre_001_04.FCStd
(68.29 KiB) Downloaded 10 times
GeneFC
Veteran

Post by GeneFC »

I am not a Pythonista, but there may be a problem in the PathSurfaceSupport.py file. The hyphen may not give the correct result.

V-bit hyphen.JPG
V-bit hyphen.JPG (24.15 KiB) Viewed 711 times

I tried other tool shapes for the attached FCstd file, and they worked. Only the V-bit failed, even when I switched to my own tool library.

Gene

Post by 103131 »

Thanks for your answer, :D

I just tried and in fact if I take the "45 Deg. Chamfer" tool, the same error message appears, but not at the same time. It appears when I go to select the faces to take into account in the "base geometry" tab and click on apply.

Maybe it's not for the same reason as the "V-bit" tool, but I'm not going much further anyway. ;)
GeneFC
Veteran

Post by GeneFC »

Try a ball-end tool with a small radius. (I do not understand the use of a sharp-pointed tool for a surface profile.)

Gene

Post by 103131 »

Good afternoon, :D

I just did some tests and indeed, I no longer have the error message with a ball-end tool with a diameter of 1 mm.
But I don't get to do what I want. I think it's because I don't know exactly how to use the soft in a good way. I have to dig a little. ;)

But anyway, there is still the same question. Maybe the problem was because of the tool I wanted to use.
You said that you don't understand the use of a sharp-pointed tool for a surface profile. Maybe it's a lesson I have to keep in mind for this kind of job.

Also, as I tried to prepare a tool of mines, I didn't do things in a right way for this. I tried to make a very thin conical tool (rounded end 0.25 mm in diameter).

I thought such as one tool like that would be good for sculpting in 3D.

Anyway, thanks for your help. Have a nice day and have a good FreeCADing. :)
GeneFC
Veteran

Post by GeneFC »

103131 wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 4:23 pm You said that you don't understand the use of a sharp-pointed tool for a surface profile. Maybe it's a lesson I have to keep in mind for this kind of job.
It all depends on what you want the final product to look like. A sharp pointed tool will leave some roughness in the surface unless the stepover is very, very small. In that case it will take a very long time to process.

There is no rule here; use whatever you want, of course. I was just pointing out the potential conflict between quality and processing time.

Gene