[SOLVED] No module named 'camotics'

Here's the place for discussion related to CAM/CNC and the development of the Path module.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
looo
Veteran

Re: [SOLVED] No module named 'camotics'

Post by looo »

Is camotics now mandatory? If optional please use something like:

Code: Select all

try:
    import camotics
except ImportError as e:
    print("camotics not available")
hpmachining

Post by hpmachining »

memfis wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 1:36 pm
hpmachining wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 7:40 pm Is it just the camotics.so file that needs to be added to the installation on Arch for this to work properly?
Yes.
This file is not copied to the correct location when installing a package from the AUR. This file stays in the source directory for building. I didn't copy it, I referenced it (I know, it's wrong). But the good thing is to "put" it in the built package.
I am the maintainer of the AUR camotics-git package. I fixed the packaging to install the file. It doesn't seem to be needed for a standalone camotics installation to work, and it is not installed by default, so I wasn't aware of the issue. Please test and confirm it works as it should.
sliptonic
Veteran

Post by sliptonic »

looo wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 3:35 pm Is camotics now mandatory? If optional please use something like:

Code: Select all

try:
    import camotics
except ImportError as e:
    print("camotics not available")
That is effectively what we have now. The situation is a bit more complicated though. First, the integration feature uses both the camotics application by calling subprocess AND it uses a new python library provided by Camotics for generating intermediate representations inside FreeCAD.

So we need to check that both are available and the correct version. Checking the version has created a new dependency on packaging.version
memfis

Post by memfis »

hpmachining wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 3:36 pm Please test and confirm it works as it should.
Thank you, special thanks for the promptness - great work, ran the build, uninstalled the old one, installed the new one - everything is in place and working.
david69
Veteran

Post by david69 »

thanks Sliptonic for the link.