Do I need to include any additional step for tool bit changes?

Here's the place for discussion related to CAM/CNC and the development of the Path module.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
ohmbrew

Do I need to include any additional step for tool bit changes?

Post by ohmbrew »

I am drilling out a pinball playfield that has 100+ holes, using like 6-7 different tool bits. Do I need to include any extra commands that the CNC will interpret to stop drilling, so that I can switch out drill bits? Or will it create 6-7 resultant g-code files that I will have to run individually, and swap out the bits in between those manual runs?

I am currently adding a new operation for each hole (I'm up to 67 operations). Those operations are all using the same bit (mill). Is that the standard way to create these path jobs? Or should I be able to lump all of those milling operations into a single operation? Sorry for the double question.
agren

Re: Do I need to include any additional step for tool bit changes?

Post by agren »

A: I guess it depends on the post processor/machine if it will stop or not.
I run linuxcnc and the post processor outputs gcode to change tools. (linuxcnc stops to tell me to insert the next tool).
If you want to split the output you can. Check the "Split Output" box. And change "Order By" to "tool".
Screenshot at 2022-06-22 20-53-18.png
Screenshot at 2022-06-22 20-53-18.png (39.7 KiB) Viewed 426 times

B: I usually add all holes that use the same tool in one operation. Unless it's important in what order they are drilled.
ohmbrew

Re: Do I need to include any additional step for tool bit changes?

Post by ohmbrew »

Thanks for the response. I now have a 3 drill and mill sizes in my job, and with that split output checkbox checked, when I clicked the process gcode button, it asked me to save gcode 3 times, and upon inspection each one is for a different bit. I think I'll go with that for my first run. I'm excited to get certified up on the CNC at our local makerspace!

Also thanks for the insight on grouping holes in the same operation. Weird things were happening when I selected multiple faces for a pocket operation...it didn't seem to always "take". Might be related to my other thread I had asked about selecting multiple faces for a drilling operation, and it ended up adding every possible hole face to the list of geometries. I'll re-investigate.