Creating Path Drilling object includes *every* hole/face of my model

Here's the place for discussion related to CAM/CNC and the development of the Path module.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
ohmbrew

Creating Path Drilling object includes *every* hole/face of my model

Post by ohmbrew »

I am using FreeCAD to design a pinball playfield for CNC drilling/milling. I have about 100 holes that need drilling, of various bit sizes. Some online tutorials I've watched, users simply click on a few hole faces, and click the "create path drilling" button, and ONLY those faces are included in the resulting dialog, and that's where I can set the tool, etc.

On my version (Linux, 0.19), that "create path drilling" operation takes a long time, because it's including every possible hole face, and it appears I have to uncheck like 150 boxes/faces if I only have 3 holes that are to be drilled out by a 3/8" bit.

What am I missing here? Is unchecking those 150 boxes the only way I can specify a limited set of holes to be drilled out with a common bit? And then do the same thing for all the other hole sizes?
sliptonic
Veteran

Re: Creating Path Drilling object includes *every* hole/face of my model

Post by sliptonic »

Hm. It seems like our selection handling has changed. It used to work that if you pre-selected holes, only those holes were added.

The easiest workaround is this. Create the operation, switch to the geometry tab and select all the holes. You can click the first, scroll to the bottom, and ctrl+click the last to get them all. Click 'Remove' to clear the list. Then select the holes you want in the model by clicking the cylindrical faces. Again, you can ctrl+click to multi-select all that you want. Click the 'Add' button to add them to the list.
ohmbrew

Re: Creating Path Drilling object includes *every* hole/face of my model

Post by ohmbrew »

Thanks for the response, BLUF: your method works.

Well, all of the faces' checkboxes were already checked, but the "remove" button was still grayed out. I had to click on the top face, which highlighted the whole row. But holding ctrl and clicking on the last one didn't highlight all of the rows. Ctrl-A (for select all) worked though. I removed them all, then added the 3 faces I actually needed drilled out with that particular tool.

It's a shame the selection handling changed. I have over 150 holes and FreeCAD takes several minutes adding all those faces before presenting me with the dialog to select all those faces to remove, which takes another several minutes.