Ignore missing material

Here's the place for discussion related to CAM/CNC and the development of the Path module.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
EskiBrew

Ignore missing material

Post by EskiBrew »

I'm pocketing a part which has a hole drilled through it and I'm wondering how I can get Path to avoid pocketing where the drill hole has already removed material.
Screenshot-path.png
Screenshot-path.png (67.79 KiB) Viewed 593 times
See the image above - the central hole is first drilled right through then a 6mm end mill is used to form the top pocket. What am I missing?
chrisb
Veteran

Re: Ignore missing material

Post by chrisb »

You missed nothing, but such optimization is not yet implemented; paths don't look at previous paths.
If the hole is big enough, you can use a Profile operation.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
EskiBrew

Post by EskiBrew »

Ah great, thanks Chris, that's useful. I've just tried again with profile instead and it works perfectly.
Screenshot-path2.png
Screenshot-path2.png (66.09 KiB) Viewed 558 times
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

EskiBrew wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 10:49 am I've just tried again with profile instead and it works perfectly.
Good to see!
For more complicated things, e.g. if you need two paths at the outside, you may have to try with a boundary dressup. I have myself never used that with a circular boundary though.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.