[SOLVED] Cannot modify the step-over of the helix

Here's the place for discussion related to CAM/CNC and the development of the Path module.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Giulio Buccini

[SOLVED] Cannot modify the step-over of the helix

Post by Giulio Buccini »

Hello everybody,

I would to mill some holes in an alu-plate by using the helix-path.
Quite strangerly, I cannot tune the step-over of the helix (i.e. the inclination of path while digging into the material).

I created a simple plate by using the Path Workbench for posting it here as an example... and I discovered a second problem also: I cannot apply the helix-path to all of the three holes.
I do not know the reason, but even if I select the circle at the bottom of the third hole, the Path workbench generate the toolpath only for the first two holes:
Selection_7791.jpg
Selection_7791.jpg (50.17 KiB) Viewed 1427 times
About the step-over: the GUI dialog pop-up with 1% as default, I tried all values from 1 to 100, but the toolpath doesn't change.

What's going on? :?
I attach the example file.

Code: Select all

Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.20.28647 (Git) AppImage
Build type: Release
Branch: (HEAD detached at 1c1743b)
Hash: 1c1743b67d209f2b6501de4f75645a33b69d1c31
Python 3.9.12, Qt 5.12.9, Coin 4.0.0, OCC 7.5.3
Locale: English/United States (en_US) [ OS: English/United States (en_US) ]
Installed mods: 
  * fasteners 0.3.40
  * A2plus 0.4.56
  * toSketch
Attachments
delete_me-helix-path-test.FCStd
(28.01 KiB) Downloaded 28 times
Last edited by Giulio Buccini on Wed Apr 20, 2022 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Giulio Buccini

Re: Cannot modify the stepover of the helix

Post by Giulio Buccini »

Just an additional info here about the second problem.

On my original object, a toolpath is generated for every hole without problems (by selecting just one hole only).
Selection_7792.jpg
Selection_7792.jpg (40.44 KiB) Viewed 1417 times
Giulio Buccini

Post by Giulio Buccini »

The second problem can be easily solved by manually adding the missing geometry.
(Base Geometry tab -> select the geometry -> "Add" button)
Selection_7793.jpg
Selection_7793.jpg (33.08 KiB) Viewed 1376 times
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

You can add the third hole manually to the BaseGeometry.

The stepover seems to be indeed buggy. It works correctly if the radius of the holes is greater then twice the diameter of the tool. In this case that means it must be greater than 6mm for the 3 mm tool.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Giulio Buccini

Post by Giulio Buccini »

chrisb wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 10:11 pm You can add the third hole manually to the BaseGeometry.
Exactly, as depicted in my post above.
chrisb wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 10:11 pm The stepover seems to be indeed buggy. It works correctly if the radius of the holes is greater then twice the diameter of the tool. In this case that means it must be greater than 6mm for the 3 mm tool.
This is partially true.
As I can see, the "Step over percent" parameter makes nothing. My tool diameter is 3 mm, and the hole diameter is 8 mm...

I solved in a different way: I discovered that the parameter "Step down" in the "Depths" tab is the only one influencing the step-over.
Here below I set the step-down to 2 mm and the spiral path has changed accordingly:
Selection_7794.jpg
Selection_7794.jpg (38.68 KiB) Viewed 1363 times
Here the modified helix:
Selection_7795.jpg
Selection_7795.jpg (32.37 KiB) Viewed 1363 times
I think it would be better to make a choice: keep the "Step over percent" and delete/disable the "Step down" parameter, or viceversa.
Alternatively, it would be better if the the percentage field could activate a "macro" modifying the "Step-down" parameter.

In this way the user could choose the preferred way to set the step-over: as tool diameter percentage, or as an absolute vertical measure.
bmsaus4ax

Post by bmsaus4ax »

Giulio Buccini wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 10:25 pm
chrisb wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 10:11 pm The stepover seems to be indeed buggy. It works correctly if the radius of the holes is greater then twice the diameter of the tool. In this case that means it must be greater than 6mm for the 3 mm tool.
I think it would be better to make a choice: keep the "Step over percent" and delete/disable the "Step down" parameter, or viceversa.
Alternatively, it would be better if the the percentage field could activate a "macro" modifying the "Step-down" parameter.

In this way the user could choose the preferred way to set the step-over: as tool diameter percentage, or as an absolute vertical measure.
Step-over works as it does in any other operation, i.e., Radial offset of passes. It is activated by setting a Start Radius in the Properties tab
A setting of say; Start Radius=0.05mm, and Start Side = Inside, and Step Over = 30 will clear the full diameter with 30% cutter step over per pass.

The start radius parameter is a bit odd in that is seems to be the radius of the remaining centre rather than the cutter path radius. Start Radius =1 will leave an island in the middle of the hole!

Step Down is the feed on Z-axis per revolution, also the same as any other operation.
Giulio Buccini

Post by Giulio Buccini »

bmsaus4ax wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 10:45 pm Step-over works as it does in any other operation, i.e., Radial offset of passes. It is activated by setting a Start Radius in the Properties tab
A setting of say; Start Radius=0.05mm, and Start Side = Inside, and Step Over = 30 will clear the full diameter with 30% cutter step over per pass.

The start radius parameter is a bit odd in that is seems to be the radius of the remaining centre rather than the cutter path radius. Start Radius =1 will leave an island in the middle of the hole!
From where you know such secrets???
I was not aware of the existence of the "start radius"... :oops:
Anyway... SOLVED!

(Here below an example with "Start Radius" = 0.001 and "Step Over" = 60 - I don't like that horizontal G0 movement when milling the second helix, but... it is what it is.)
Selection_7796.jpg
Selection_7796.jpg (28.42 KiB) Viewed 1320 times
A question: what is the difference between "start side" = Inside or Outside for cylindrical pockets? I see no difference in the resulting toolpaths in my example (you find the attached file some posts above).
Giulio Buccini

Post by Giulio Buccini »

Giulio Buccini wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 11:04 pm A question: what is the difference between "start side" = Inside or Outside for cylindrical pockets? I see no difference in the resulting toolpaths in my example (you find the attached file some posts above).
Got it! :D
Changes the milling order of the helixes, i.e. start side = Outside starts milling the helix more far away from the center first, and then the other ones more close to the center.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

bmsaus4ax wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 10:45 pm The start radius parameter is a bit odd in that is seems to be the radius of the remaining centre rather than the cutter path radius. Start Radius =1 will leave an island in the middle of the hole!
A start radius of 0 or even less than 0 should be possible.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
bmsaus4ax

Post by bmsaus4ax »

Giulio Buccini wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 11:04 pm
From where you know such secrets???
I've found with FreeCAD as it is developing you have be that annoying kid who pushes every button to see what it does. The documentation does not keep up with the progress.
A question: what is the difference between "start side" = Inside or Outside for cylindrical pockets? I see no difference in the resulting toolpaths in my example (you find the attached file some posts above).
If you slow down the simulation with the Speed bar to near zero you should see the paths start near the centre and progress outward for Start Inside, and hole edge to centre for Start Outside.