Icons of dress up tools

Here's the place for discussion related to CAM/CNC and the development of the Path module.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
david69
Veteran

Icons of dress up tools

Post by david69 »

by curiosity, under Path>Path Dressup> we have a bunch of tools receiving the same icon. Is it intentional, an oversight?

any reason also why we don't have shortcuts on the Gui for these tools?

on reverse, the tools Copy/Array/simple copy are split and can be unified under the same shortcut "Modification", like in the menu.

it is only cosmetic considerations.
sliptonic
Veteran

Re: Icons of dress up tools

Post by sliptonic »

david69 wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 12:37 pm by curiosity, under Path>Path Dressup> we have a bunch of tools receiving the same icon. Is it intentional, an oversight?
Not an oversight. I'm terrible at icons and thought it would be a good place for one of the more visual members of our community to contribute. So far, no contributions.
any reason also why we don't have shortcuts on the Gui for these tools?
I hate just splashing buttons on the toolbars for everything possible. Not to pick on any other workbench but I find Arch to be overwhelming. I don't know where to start and the UI doesn't help. So, I'm very conservative about what ends up as a toolbar button and would rather see controls in places where they naturally make sense. For example, dressup creation controls should only be in your face if you've created (and selected) an operation to dress up. No need to look at that icon any other time. We could add dressup icons to the operation context menu. Or maybe inside the operation task panel. I'm willing to listen to ideas on this.
on reverse, the tools Copy/Array/simple copy are split and can be unified under the same shortcut "Modification", like in the menu.
Excellent point
freman
Veteran

Post by freman »

I agree, toolbars are cluttered enough already.

Path menu on Path WB is somewhat overcharged in general ( about three times the other menus in length ). Would it be worth a new top level menu entry, for example to move the actual operation tools to their own menu ?

Since none of the tools seem to have keyboard short cuts, that won't mess up anyone's working habits if they use them.
david69
Veteran

Post by david69 »

here is a mock up of what we can have
a.png
a.png (87.47 KiB) Viewed 1135 times
now I understand that to create dedicate icons is an other task. May be
bitacovir wrote:ping
can give a hand.

I am not a coder but I guess the code to put together icons under an other is the same as for the tools under Engraving Operation.
freman
Veteran

Post by freman »

Thanks, for the price of one more icon , I suppose the dressups would be easier to get if grouped like that and probably easier to discover for new users. I was unaware of dress-ups for quite a while because they were deep in the menus
MisterMaker

Post by MisterMaker »

Doing research into icons from other CAD programs I came to the conclusion that Freecad has WAY to many icons. Not a single CAD program has an icon for every feature.
But I am also bothered that all the dress-up features have the same icon.
I would say make one dress-up feature then select what you want to dress-up.
In the other hand if this is not possible,
I can look into making dedicated icons, but I am not going to do it in original Freecad style since I got a great workflow in Blender and doing it in Inks-cape, makes me wanna shoot myself. :lol:
If @sliptonic think it is a great addition than could you change Path_Dressup.svg to Path_Dressup_axis.svg and Path_Dressup_boundary.svg etc. and just re-use the same icons with different names. This way I can just replace them with my own in my icon theme.

I have no issues if my own icons will be in main, but it maybe look a bit out of place atm. It's probably better too implement icon theme's in main branch. So we have the basic icons and the super fancy ones.