how do I get changes in tool library to update in job operations?

Here's the place for discussion related to CAM/CNC and the development of the Path module.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
tommj

how do I get changes in tool library to update in job operations?

Post by tommj »

I am a new user trying out path for a profiling job, and I see that for some reason the diameter of a tool I had in my tool selector>tool library is incorrect, showing .1969 for some reason instead of .25 inches which it is supposed to be. I corrected the dimension in tool library and clicked edit>recompute object with no effect on the incorrect dimension in the combo view model tab property window for the profiling operation "Op Tool Diameter". I did the tool library edit again and did some other poking around (I think I changed the tool to another one, recomputed and then changed it back again back again and recomputed again), and eventually did get that field to change to .2500. I then checked my drilling operation in combo view and it too is incorrect, but no matter what I do I am unable to fix it. What is the correct workflow to do this or do I need to delete and re add the operation?
Also, what is the significance of .1969, and .1181? They seem to pop up a lot in various fields.
Is it possible to reorder operations? I get a do not enter icon if I try to drag them..

thanks
tom
GeneFC
Veteran

Re: how do I get changes in tool library to update in job operations?

Post by GeneFC »

tommj wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 5:16 pm Also, what is the significance of .1969, and .1181? They seem to pop up a lot in various fields.
Those represent 5 mm and 3 mm. FreeCAD uses metric internally, so the defaults in the Path WB are expressed in mm.

You can change them to whatever you want. If you want different defaults you can set most things on the setup sheet.

Gene
sliptonic
Veteran

Post by sliptonic »

tommj wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 5:16 pm I am a new user trying out path for a profiling job, and I see that for some reason the diameter of a tool I had in my tool selector>tool library is incorrect, showing .1969 for some reason instead of .25 inches which it is supposed to be. I corrected the dimension in tool library and clicked edit>recompute object with no effect on the incorrect dimension in the combo view model tab property window for the profiling operation "Op Tool Diameter". I did the tool library edit again and did some other poking around (I think I changed the tool to another one, recomputed and then changed it back again back again and recomputed again), and eventually did get that field to change to .2500. I then checked my drilling operation in combo view and it too is incorrect, but no matter what I do I am unable to fix it. What is the correct workflow to do this or do I need to delete and re add the operation?
Also, what is the significance of .1969, and .1181? They seem to pop up a lot in various fields.
Is it possible to reorder operations? I get a do not enter icon if I try to drag them..
You can reorder operations in the Job dialog on the workplan tab.

When you make changes to a tool in the library, the change will not be automatically propagated back to your document. When you add a TC to the document, it makes a COPY of the tool nested underneath. This copy is not linked to the original in the tool library. The reason for this is so you can share the document with someone who may not share your library or even your toolshape. They will still be able to postprocess the document. The can also visualize and edit the tool if it's based on a standard shape. If it's a custom shape, of course, they won't unless they have access to the shape file.

If you need to change something about your master copy of the tool, you'll need to remove and readd the tool controller.
tommj

Post by tommj »

OK thanks, so I'll need to delete that operation and redo it, no worries, at least I can put it back in the same order.
thanks
Steveco

Post by Steveco »

You don't need to delete an operation to get it to use a new tool diameter.

1. add a new tool controller that uses the updated tool
2. edit all the operations in the job, switching them from the old tool controller to the new tool controller
3. delete the old tool controller

I had to do this a number of times recently, because one of my end mills wasn't cutting holes that matched its stated diameter.
mobrik

Post by mobrik »

Hello, first time to this forum, a month or so into FreeCad.

I'm struggling to understand why the tool that is called out/picked (#7 = 1/8" end mill, added to default tool library) to do the contour wont over write the "operational tool dia (holds the dia of the tool)" of 0.20" to the #7tool = 0.125" in the library. Thus the path that gets created and shown in the simulation is to the 0.20 tool.

Any help appreciated, thanks
sliptonic
Veteran

Post by sliptonic »

mobrik wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 1:10 pm Hello, first time to this forum, a month or so into FreeCad.

I'm struggling to understand why the tool that is called out/picked (#7 = 1/8" end mill, added to default tool library) to do the contour wont over write the "operational tool dia (holds the dia of the tool)" of 0.20" to the #7tool = 0.125" in the library. Thus the path that gets created and shown in the simulation is to the 0.20 tool.
Hi, Welcome!

When you add a toolbit to your Job, it creates the toolcontroller with the toolbit nested underneath. The toolbit that is added to the job is a copy. So any changes you make to the toolbit stored on you hard drive and listed in your library will not be reflected. You have to open up the tool controller and make your changes there, or remove the TC from the job and re-add it from your library.

That might seem like a bug but it is intentional behavior. It means that you can share you FreeCAD project file with someone else and they can use it. If the toolbit in the job was just a reference to the one on your hard drive, it would break when you share the document.