CNC STEP file type

Here's the place for discussion related to CAM/CNC and the development of the Path module.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
chrisb
Veteran

Re: CNC STEP file type

Post by chrisb »

MisterMaker wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 6:47 am Ok here is an idea, why not just save a static 3D model like step in the Freecad file? You can always open the Freecad file outside Freecad, since it is just a zip file.
I would rate such backups as being out of the scope of FreeCAD, but if something should be backed up in the FreeCAD file itself, it should be either a complete FreeCAD file or at least a FreeCAD simple copy. Then we would not be restricted to Step format.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
MisterMaker

Post by MisterMaker »

chrisb wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 9:43 am
MisterMaker wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 6:47 am Ok here is an idea, why not just save a static 3D model like step in the Freecad file? You can always open the Freecad file outside Freecad, since it is just a zip file.
I would rate such backups as being out of the scope of FreeCAD, but if something should be backed up in the FreeCAD file itself, it should be either a complete FreeCAD file or at least a FreeCAD simple copy. Then we would not be restricted to Step format.
For standard backups you would be looking at PDM solutions or just the "save a copy" function. Only reason to save as step is just a convenient way to get the stability of Freecad out of the backup process and so can be a peace of mind.
If you just want too look on how an older file was you don't want to screw around with older Freecad versions and bug fixing you just want a quick look at it.
I do think professional users would really like this backup style.
I do agree that it shouldn't be necessary and we should just be able to use default Freecad backups but with the TNP stability issues a static 3D model would be a preferred way for now. (hopefully not for long tho....)
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

TNP doesn't play any role unless you modify a file, just opening to see is safe so a step file wouldn't give any advantage in this regard.
Zolko
Veteran

Post by Zolko »

MisterMaker wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 6:47 am Ok here is an idea, why not just save a static 3D model like step in the Freecad file?
that's already the case, but in the Brep format. Did you look inside a FCStd file ?
try the Assembly4 workbench for FreCAD — tutorials here and here
MisterMaker

Post by MisterMaker »

Zolko wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 7:10 am
MisterMaker wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 6:47 am Ok here is an idea, why not just save a static 3D model like step in the Freecad file?
that's already the case, but in the Brep format. Did you look inside a FCStd file ?
I had no idea, but I tested it out a bit and it does work if you got a simple model, but as soon as you get into more complex assemblies with linked parts it just goes bonkers.
This chair:
Ended up looking like this after I imported all brep files:

But having a brep file as assembly just for backup purposes would be a great solution, probably can do this manually with a clone command or such.
MisterMaker

Post by MisterMaker »

OK after some good input I changed my idea:
(probably not smart to call it brep, since lots of users won't understand what it is)
Add a folder with backups too the fcstd file:
Layout of the backup folder: