Separate Gcode Files for each operation

Here's the place for discussion related to CAM/CNC and the development of the Path module.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
David North

Separate Gcode Files for each operation

Post by David North »

As I have to change tools manually on my CNC Machine, I require separate Gcode files for each operation. This gives me the chance to change tool, re-zero the tool height, and get the spindle up to speed before running the specific code (in a specific file) for operation using the new tool.
Is there a way of doing this in Path?
I can edit the combined file into separate files but this would be rather tedious.
chrisb
Veteran

Re: Separate Gcode Files for each operation

Post by chrisb »

Hi and welcome to the forum!

There is a "Split output" box in the postprocessor configuration tab of the job. I don't know if it is supported by all postprocessors.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
GeneFC
Veteran

Post by GeneFC »

I believe Split Output is fairly recent. Probably need to use a development version (0.20.xxxxx) if you are not already doing so.

It is highly recommended to use a recent version in any case, since the Path WB has seen a lot of inprovements lately.

Gene
Steveco

Post by Steveco »

Personally I handle tool changes by creating a separate job for each tool. A single job can include multiple operations but it won't include a tool change.

I include an abbreviation for the tool in the job name, so the Gcode file name tells me which tool it needs.
David North

Post by David North »

Thanks all for your prompt responses.
I am using 0.19 (24291) with the Mach 3/4 post processor.
I have just tried using Split and all the operations have disappeared.
However, clearly 'Split' is the required function. I will load 0.2xx as suggested and try that.
Many thanks.
David North

Post by David North »

Further to my previous post. Version 0.2 seemed to work fine with regard to the 'Split' function.
Thanks once again.
guillaumed

Post by guillaumed »

Hi
I have the same need. I would like to create a number of operations in a single job, using as many tools as I need, and then split the output on operations so I can run these files separately, and if needed change my tool and re-zero the Z.
This seems best for me because I'm using GRBL so M6 is not supported ; if there could be a way that it pauses and let me re-probe Z that would be an option, but when I'm on hold, I can't re-probe.
Also, I don't like to make multiple jobs because they have independant coordinates, bodies etc. which creates room for error and is more work to setup.
My problem is there seems to be no option in filename like %d, %D, %j that would refer to the active tool or active operation, and it's a shame since you can split by those. Am I wrong ?
I've found a nasty workaround, which is output to a single file, but when I click on post-treatment, Freecad shows me the content that's about to be written ; I can click OK once, turn to UGS and carve this file, then go back to Freecad, click OK again and cycle like that.
By the way, I'm using 0.20.1.
CandL

Post by CandL »

I am running the weekly dev build. 0.22.0 DEV

Using the Job UI (dble click job)

Under the Output tab, at the bottom of the window is a check box "Split Output" check it.

Above the check box is "Order by:" it defaults to fixture. Other options are Tool and Operation. I choose Tool for my current job.

Not sure what the term "Fixture" means here but if this is a way to group toolpaths that could be very nice.
KrownCAD

Post by KrownCAD »

Personally, I make a new job when I need to change tools. I also use mach3_mach4. With my machine, the x and y zero stays correct, then I just re-zero z for the new tool.