is this a Path Helix WB task

Here's the place for discussion related to CAM/CNC and the development of the Path module.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Dougl

is this a Path Helix WB task

Post by Dougl »

I'm wanting to show that LinuxCNC can do multi-axis complex shapes like a spiral table leg and while looking for CAM found FreeCAD Path workbench might be able to generate the toolpaths. This is a double bonus since I've also recently switched from Fusion360 to FreeCAD after AutoDesk jumped the shark with licensing changes among other reasons.

Having recently migrated my 3D printer and K40 laser cutter to LinuxCNC(on rPi4) and a SKR v1.4 3DP controller using the Remora firmware.
I'm heading to do the same for my small 4 axis CNC. The membership shop I'm a part of keeps asking me why LinuxCNC(and a few why FreeCAD) and they don't get it that it being old, well tested and customizable are all good things. Recently a member with a $15,000 5 axis machine showed the table legs he's made in Vectrix and I found the Path WB which seems to be the CAM side to demo all this.

Once I model this in FreeCAD would the Path Helix workbench be the place to go for the toolpaths? Or is there something else better designed for this?

Off to look at all the other things Path WB can do like looking for the ability to carve shapes like chess pieces. Thanks.
Doug
FreeCAD for Linux
Steveco

Re: is this a Path Helix WB task

Post by Steveco »

The Path workbench is the one to use to generate toolpaths. (There is not a "Path Helix" workbench as far as I can tell.)

This is the correct forum for posts related to toolpaths and CNC usage.

There is some support for a 4th axis, and I think it would be able to generate the toolpaths needed to cut the part shown in your picture. Once you have your part modeled and can post the .FCStd file, you'll be able to get help here if you need it.
GeneFC
Veteran

Re: is this a Path Helix WB task

Post by GeneFC »

At this time FreeCAD does not have a complete 4-axis path capability. There is support for discrete rotations in the 4th axis, but not continuous rotation.

That leg looks like it was made with a shaped cutter while the leg was turned around its axis.

It might be possible to make the helix operation follow the spiral path, but it would take some non-standard setup. The helix is designed to ease the entry into a pocketing operation or to wind continuously down a milled hole. See the wiki for more information.

https://wiki.freecadweb.org/Path_Helix

Gene