LibLathe - Lathe Path Generation

Here's the place for discussion related to CAM/CNC and the development of the Path module.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
dubstar-04

LibLathe - Lathe Path Generation

Post by dubstar-04 »

I am currently working on a python library to handle lathe path generation.

This is Experimental and for testing only

FreeCAD Addon for testing: https://github.com/dubstar-04/FreeCAD_Turning_Addon

LibLathe: https://github.com/dubstar-04/LibLathe

FreeCAD Integration: https://github.com/dubstar-04/FreeCAD/t ... ntegration

Facing:
FacingOp.jpeg
FacingOp.jpeg (25.64 KiB) Viewed 12746 times

Roughing:
RoughingOp.jpeg
RoughingOp.jpeg (52.04 KiB) Viewed 12747 times

Profile:
ProfilingOp.jpeg
ProfilingOp.jpeg (34.35 KiB) Viewed 12747 times

Part-off:
PartingOp.jpeg
PartingOp.jpeg (23.27 KiB) Viewed 12747 times

This Addon can be manually installed using the Addon Manager:
Turning_Addon.png
Turning_Addon.png (50.8 KiB) Viewed 9138 times
Last edited by dubstar-04 on Mon Jan 31, 2022 8:20 am, edited 13 times in total.
sliptonic
Veteran

Re: Lathe Features

Post by sliptonic »

dubstar-04 wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 7:33 pm Is there any effort underway to support lathe features?
Not really. I've experimented with a simple script that can build roughing gcode for a lathe but it's hardly usable. Unlike a mill operation, a lathe operation needs to be smarter about the tool shape and collision detection.

@joshMorong has been working on some things that might help but nothing ready for prime time.
dubstar-04

Post by dubstar-04 »

sliptonic wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:20 pm
dubstar-04 wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 7:33 pm Is there any effort underway to support lathe features?
Not really. I've experimented with a simple script that can build roughing gcode for a lathe but it's hardly usable. Unlike a mill operation, a lathe operation needs to be smarter about the tool shape and collision detection.

@joshMorong has been working on some things that might help but nothing ready for prime time.
I didn't think about the tool geometry and managing the control point. :|
dubstar-04

Post by dubstar-04 »

I have been investigating what is possible for lathe code generation and I could use some help.

I am trying to use Path.fromShapes to generate gcode and I am having some trouble with the 'retraction' parameter.

It seems the retraction plane can't be in the negative direction, which is an issue for traditional lathes. At first I thought this was a bug but the description reads:

Code: Select all

retraction(0.0): Tool retraction absolute coordinate along retraction axis
Retraction Set Negative:
NegativeRetraction.png
NegativeRetraction.png (17.04 KiB) Viewed 16029 times
Retraction Set Positive:
PositiveRetraction.png
PositiveRetraction.png (14.58 KiB) Viewed 16029 times

Code: Select all

def getPathParams(start, shapes, retract_pt):
    #print Path.fromShapes.__doc__
    pathParams = {}
    pathParams['start']=start
    pathParams['shapes'] = shapes
    pathParams['return_end'] = False
    pathParams['arc_plane'] =1
    pathParams['sort_mode'] = 0
    pathParams['min_dist'] =0.0
    pathParams['abscissa'] =3.0
    pathParams['nearest_k'] =3
    pathParams['orientation'] =0 
    pathParams['direction'] = 2
    pathParams['threshold'] =0.0 
    pathParams['retract_axis'] = 0
    pathParams['retraction'] = retract_pt
    pathParams['resume_height'] =0.0 
    pathParams['segmentation'] =0.0 
    pathParams['feedrate'] =0.0
    pathParams['feedrate_v'] =0.0
    pathParams['verbose'] = True
    pathParams['abs_center'] = False
    pathParams['preamble'] = True, 
    pathParams['deflection'] =0.01
    return pathParams
Attachments
PathLathe.FCStd
(19.8 KiB) Downloaded 283 times
LatheTest.zip
(3.4 KiB) Downloaded 251 times
dubstar-04

Post by dubstar-04 »

realthunder wrote:ping
@realthunder what are your thoughts on this?
realthunder
Veteran

Post by realthunder »

See below. There seems to be some recomputation problem in FeatureArea, you'll sometimes need to manually 'Mark for recompute' of the area object as shown in the video. And yes, Path.Area currently do not support negative retraction. If that is really necessary, I can add it.

phpBB [video]
Try Assembly3 with my custom build of FreeCAD at here.
And if you'd like to show your support, you can donate through patreon, liberapay, or paypal
sliptonic
Veteran

Post by sliptonic »

dubstar-04 wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:38 pm I have been investigating what is possible for lathe code generation and I could use some help.
Awesome! I'm thrilled to see someone playing with this.
I suspect that the PathArea approach is inherently limited but it might be possible to get a basic rough turning operation to work. If nothing else, that would give us a reason to experiment with other job types and figure out how to organize the GUI.
dubstar-04

Post by dubstar-04 »

realthunder wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:06 am See below. There seems to be some recomputation problem in FeatureArea, you'll sometimes need to manually 'Mark for recompute' of the area object as shown in the video. And yes, Path.Area currently do not support negative retraction. If that is really necessary, I can add it.

phpBB [video]
Thanks for taking the time to look in to this and make a video!

I'm looking to you and Brad for guidance on this, but in my opinion having negative retraction on Path.Area() would be worth while if just for completeness.

I didn't know you could use feature area like that. I will have a play and see where it gets me.

Thanks again for taking the time to reply. I know your super busy with other parts of FreeCAD so I really appreciate your help.
dubstar-04

Post by dubstar-04 »

sliptonic wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:23 am
dubstar-04 wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:38 pm I have been investigating what is possible for lathe code generation and I could use some help.
Awesome! I'm thrilled to see someone playing with this.
I suspect that the PathArea approach is inherently limited but it might be possible to get a basic rough turning operation to work. If nothing else, that would give us a reason to experiment with other job types and figure out how to organize the GUI.
Hi Brad,

Thanks for replying. I was hoping you would be able to guide me a little with a good approach to developing some basic lathe tools, especially around the GUI side of things.

I have started adding some lathe ops to path but I'm thinking that I need to make some new base objects as everything is currently designed around milling.

I was starting to think that Path.Area() may not be best suited to lathe geometry but I didn't know about FeatureArea shown above.

My current thought is to generate the path from commands generated specifically for each operation as this would allow better control of tool cutting direction and retraction.

I need to keep testing and develop the attached script to the point where it generates useable code before transferring the learning to path commands.

Thanks again,

Dan
JoshM

Post by JoshM »

Hi Dan,
Any progress on this? I noticed your post a bit ago, and have meant to touch base. In broad terms, lathe ops are easier than 4th axis milling, or 3d milling because the Job model is radial. But, the trade off is that the tool shapes no longer remain radial. My practical lathe experience is practically non-existent, but...

1. I'd recommend thinking about a triangular lathe tool insert as it's the simplest, and best constrained example. Inserts appear an alternative to fixed tools, so if you figured out everything on an insert, it should translate to non-insert tools.

2. I played around with https://www.mscdirect.com/product/details/49418049 recently. I wanted to understand the code used to describe the insert, which I found on page 92 of http://www.ntkcuttingtools.co.uk/PDFs/c ... log_en.pdf I didn't finish it, but started a script to generate based on code. It decodes the tool parameters generally, but only generates triangular inserts.
LatheInsert.png
LatheInsert.png (45.4 KiB) Viewed 15773 times
3. What becomes obvious is that the lathe operation tool shape is not adequately represented by a point in space. The cutting angle depends on the shank used to hold the insert, and the alignment of the shank to the stock. Assume the Y-axis "height" is fixed by the tool holder. This leaves X and Z axis movements, as you have been playing with. In theory, Y-axis should be adjustable, but not be able to be driven--that is, some lathe tools do not operate at Y = 0.0...

4. In the insert example I gave, the triangle has a nominal 11mm cutting-length, with 120-degree, 0.4mm nose-radius fillets at the triangle corners. The actual cutting length is less due to the nose-radius. The insert code I linked shows that there are various nose-radius and size options. This is just a typical example to work with...

5. I know from researching 3d cutting that a Ball-Nose milling tool interfaces to a Job-model surface such that the center of the ball is always at a point in space found by moving along the normal vector at the intersection-point on the model, a distance equal in length to the tools ball radius. This applies here too. The Ball is the 0.4mm nose-radius.

6. Here is a simple example of a lathe style job model. For our purposes, it includes flat, ramped, and interior/exterior fillets. If we do not calculate clearances, but only idealized points, the tool paths generated will cause the Job model to be violated.
LatheExample1.png
LatheExample1.png (77.8 KiB) Viewed 15773 times
7. Here is the sketch used to generate the model, and in construction lines, I show the Chuck--which must be cleared. I include it only for perspective because in the real world, it will be a significant consideration.
Attachments
LatheExample2.png
LatheExample2.png (58.18 KiB) Viewed 15773 times
LatheToolInsert.FCMACRO
(23.69 KiB) Downloaded 319 times