Tool Editor / Tool Table

Here's the place for discussion related to CAM/CNC and the development of the Path module.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
chrisb
Veteran

Re: Tool Editor / Tool Table

Post by chrisb »

Thanks.
(Please don't quote complete posts. It makes topics unnecessary long and obscures what your actually referencing.)
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
dubstar-04

Post by dubstar-04 »

chrisb wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:52 am Confirmed. What's your FreeCAD info?
Depends which machine I'm using. This one:

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.19.19635 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: master
Hash: 757cfce10b87ca087d31ce38eb30f612bf55fcad
Python version: 3.6.8
Qt version: 5.12.1
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.3.0
Locale: English/United Kingdom (en_GB)

I've opened a bug report and assigned it to me as this is likely my fault:

issue #4282
dubstar-04

Post by dubstar-04 »

Pull request here: https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/pull/3143

TT-Icons.png
TT-Icons.png (13.42 KiB) Viewed 2008 times
quick61
Veteran

Post by quick61 »

It seems that I am not able to create any new tools. When I open the Create Tool dialog, Path > Create Tool and edit the parameters and click OK, I get the following output in Report View -

Code: Select all

in _removebitbody
in _removebitbody
propname: ChipLoad
propname: Flutes
propname: LengthOffset
propname: Material
propname: UserAttributes
in _removebitbody
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/share/freecad-daily/Mod/Path/PathScripts/PathToolBitGui.py", line 142, in accept
    self.editor.accept()
  File "/usr/share/freecad-daily/Mod/Path/PathScripts/PathToolBitEdit.py", line 162, in accept
    enabled = self.model.item(i, 0).checkState() == QtCore.Qt.Checked
<class 'AttributeError'>: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'checkState'

Something broken, or is it just me?

Oh, and when one creates a new tool, where is it saved, or is it? There is no Wiki on the new tool manager and I'm at a bit of a loss as to exactly how it is suppose to work. My best guess at this point is that one makes new tools with the Path > Create Tool, and then it gets magically saved somewhere, where then it can be browsed to from the Tool Manager > Add Toolbit button and added to the Tool Library. Though at the moment I have no clue as to what extension the saved(??) Tools are under or where to go to find them in order to add them to the library, that is, once the clicking of the OK button in the Add Tool dialog stops producing the error.

Mark

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.19.
Build type: Release
Branch: unknown
Hash: 3ad15343ebab78cd76b7e9a06a0f8d794f5075be
Python version: 3.6.9
Qt version: 5.9.5
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.3.0
Locale: English/UnitedStates (en_US)
This post made with 0.0% Micro$oft products - GOT LINUX?
sliptonic
Veteran

Post by sliptonic »

quick61 wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 1:48 pm
Something broken, or is it just me?
Hi Mark,
Likely something is broken. It's been getting some attention in the last couple weeks.
Oh, and when one creates a new tool, where is it saved, or is it? There is no Wiki on the new tool manager and I'm at a bit of a loss as to exactly how it is suppose to work. My best guess at this point is that one makes new tools with the Path > Create Tool, and then it gets magically saved somewhere, where then it can be browsed to from the Tool Manager > Add Toolbit button and added to the Tool Library. Though at the moment I have no clue as to what extension the saved(??) Tools are under or where to go to find them in order to add them to the library, that is, once the clicking of the OK button in the Add Tool dialog stops producing the error.
The best documentation at the moment is the readme https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/tree ... Path/Tools
Technically this is still an experimental feature so it should only be visible if you have those enabled. What's more, if you have enabled experimental features, BOTH systems are active unless you disable legacy tools in the preferences.

There's still too many items in the menu and some of those will go away as we refine the UI.

Even with all those caveats, I encourage you to use the new toolbits. It's the future.

You can save your toolbits and libraries anywhere you want. Toolbits and libraries are just json files with custom extensions (.fctb and .fctl) Libraries are very simple. Just lists of toolbits with a tool number assigned.

When you do Path -> Create tool, it only creates in memory. You have to manually save it (Path -> Save Tool) if you want to persist it. This is one of those things we will be improving.
dtay

Post by dtay »

Hi CNC people,

I just wanted to point out a couple of sites that build and export tool assemblies with the ISO 13399 standard. Maybe some of you know them already.
https://www.machiningcloud.com/app/

Here is a Capto turning tool exported to the GTC format.
http://www.filedropper.com/tool1

Another good tooling resource is Tools United.
https://www.toolsunited.com/App/

Wish I was more helpful in the coding department :|

Great work thus far Dan and all whom contribute!
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

sliptonic wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 2:20 pm When you do Path -> Create tool, it only creates in memory. You have to manually save it (Path -> Save Tool) if you want to persist it.
At least the old style tooltable is stored in the user.cfg.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
quick61
Veteran

Post by quick61 »

Thanks sliptonic, at least for now I pretty much know now it isn't me. :) Have some more questions coming. thanks in advance ;)

Mark
This post made with 0.0% Micro$oft products - GOT LINUX?